C25k success stories, slow runners gain more speed?

Options
Lizzypb88
Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
I did C25k a year and a half ago, and did my first 5k in 36min, which for short me was pretty fast... I kept it up but only ran twice a week and my speed dwindled down... the good thing is it was still very therapeutic for me! Today I haven’t ran in two months, I also gained 20 pounds and I miss the runners high and the stress relief of it all! I know I’ll be starting over again, maybe just walking so I can get this weight down under 200 and not do damage to my knees... but I already know I’m going to be 13 or 14min mile starting.... just frustrated to start slow again! Has anyone had slow times like me but able to gain speed eventually?

Replies

• lousoulbody
    lousoulbody Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Keep at it practice makes progress, there is nothing wrong with slow........you will eventually get faster!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    yes, i was where you were. i have been running for a few years. i'm now looking at tenish min miles for a 5k 11min mile for trail 8ks.
    i don't train train much but found intervals and fartleks and hills can help. as well as more miles
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Keep working at it. Everyone started off slower. It takes time to build speed but if you keep working at it, you’ll get there.
  • KABO931
    KABO931 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is my nemesis! I've started that darn thing a million times and never finished it -- I am NOT a runner by nature, so it's always a slow start for me. I always get to the 20 minutes of running straight, but usually end up getting injured (last time it was my knee, the time before that was my sacroiliac joint). This time I am taking the normal program length and extending it out to 4-5 months. I totally get what you're saying though about the runner's high and stress relief :), definitely worth it! Keep up the great work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    my wife got faster with shorter distances by running further.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I started running again in May, I was doing like 14 min miles and could only make it a mile or two. Now i'm able to run 18 miles straight around a 9-10 min/mile pace. Not super fast but I improved quickly by increasing my mileage! Sticking with a plan really helped, having built in rest days gave my body time to recover so I haven't injured myself. Like you, I started off with a few pounds to lose and I was worried about hurting my knees. I lost the weight first and then really started running more. At first my knees hurt a lot, but over time they got stronger and now I have no issues. Make sure you get fitted for the right running shoes too :) .
  • nomorewombat
    nomorewombat Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to love running when I was fit but now I'm very overweight, so I have made my own modified version of C25K to get back in to it. I feel if I tried to run 30 mins continuous in just nine weeks I will just injure myself.
    So my version has me moving forward one week and then back to repeat the previous week and then forward again, So it will take 23 weeks to get to the end, but hopefully injury free and a lot lighter!!!

Example
    Week 1
    Week 2
    Week 1
    Week 2
    Week 3
    Week 2
    Week 3
    Week 4
    Week 3
    Week 4
    Week 5
    Etc....
  • MissyMilda
    MissyMilda Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    KABO931 wrote: »
    Couch to 5k is my nemesis! I've started that darn thing a million times and never finished it -- I am NOT a runner by nature, so it's always a slow start for me. I always get to the 20 minutes of running straight, but usually end up getting injured (last time it was my knee, the time before that was my sacroiliac joint). This time I am taking the normal program length and extending it out to 4-5 months. I totally get what you're saying though about the runner's high and stress relief :), definitely worth it! Keep up the great work.

I know you haven't, but don't give up! I was the exact same, if it wasn't my shins it was my feet. But this month I finally completed it without injury and at least 15lbs heavier than on my previous attempts (and much more than 15lbs above goal weight!). I was never a runner by nature either, but I'm really enjoying running outdoors now, having done the programme on a treadmill.

I think what made the difference for me personally was that I was walking a lot more (4 miles a day vs maybe 1 mile). Also, I started doing yoga and Pilates, which meant I was properly stretching and working on my core ...I tended to be very negligent of these before!
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing about running I've learned over the years. You have to get started and stick with it. Consistency is everything with running. Run 3X/week - start slow with low miles. Build up gradually (no more than a 10% increase in distance per week to prevent injury). Once you get to the mileage you want to do (say 3miles/run), then start doing a little speed work. This is easy to google to find exactly what to do. While improvement comes fast at first, it will slow down BUT stick with it. Mix up your runs (outside, inside, speed work, slow easy runs, etc) Consistency is very important. If there is a running club in your area check them out. They are typically amazing sources for encouragement and advice. Good luck
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    Here's the thing about running I've learned over the years. You have to get started and stick with it. Consistency is everything with running. Run 3X/week - start slow with low miles. Build up gradually (no more than a 10% increase in distance per week to prevent injury). Once you get to the mileage you want to do (say 3miles/run), then start doing a little speed work. This is easy to google to find exactly what to do. While improvement comes fast at first, it will slow down BUT stick with it. Mix up your runs (outside, inside, speed work, slow easy runs, etc) Consistency is very important. If there is a running club in your area check them out. They are typically amazing sources for encouragement and advice. Good luck

i agree with this, in that consistency is key. i have made massive improvements this year just by being consistent in my training.

i don't agree with doing speed work when you can run 3 miles. you will still improve speed wise if you keep to easy runs but increase your distance. once you can run 10 miles, then look at speed work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!