BMR calories vs MFP suggested calories--which should I use daily?

Options
sudietarver
sudietarver Posts: 10 Member
edited November 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
I have set on MFP that I am "not very active" and I want to lose 1lb a week. I am currently 163.4 lbs and 5'3. If I did my math correctly, my bmr is around 1510 (according to the active.com calculator) or 1444 (according to a formula suggested to me by someone on another MFP post) but my suggested calorie intake by MFP is 1270. I work out about 3-4 times a week (running and cardio) for about an hour to hour 1/2.

My question is, which is a more reliable number to use? I feel that that's too wide of a difference and I need help!

Weight: 163
Height: 5'3
BMI: 29
Body Fat: 36.76% (according to formula of (1.20 x BMI) + (.23 + AGE) - 5.4
Goal: Lose 1lb a week
Activity Level: Sedentary (sit at desk most day)
Workouts: 3-4 times a week for hour

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Are you asking whether you should use your BMR or MFP's target? Either would work considering your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing.

With MFP's number you're also supposed to log exercise and you get additional calories to "eat back" so you would be eating more than 1270 on exercise days. MFP is estimating your NEAT (maintenance calories without deliberate exercise) to be 1770 and thus a 500 calorie deficit.
  • sudietarver
    sudietarver Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you asking whether you should use your BMR or MFP's target? Either would work considering your BMR is the calories you burn merely existing.

With MFP's number you're also supposed to log exercise and you get additional calories to "eat back" so you would be eating more than 1270 on exercise days. MFP is estimating your NEAT (maintenance calories without deliberate exercise) to be 1770 and thus a 500 calorie deficit.

I have negative adjustment off if that helps any. I don't let it autosync--I manually enter calories burned from exercise and sometimes steps