Gained weight, Doing "everything right" FRUSTRATED

Options
Just got back from weekly weigh in w trainer and I've gained 1.5 lbs this week. No, I did not indulge one iota on Thanksgiving, treated it like just another Thursday. I did have to work, so it wasn't hard.

I'm at 304 right now, been back to logging and working out for 3 weeks. Do super intense bootcamps for 60 mins 4 times a week. Weigh, measure and track very closely. (Sadly I'm doing this again, I was very successful 15 years ago, ugh) I only drink black coffee, water and plain soda water. My diary is open.

This just doesn't make sense, I should be dropping weight. I'm beside myself in tears, trainer told me not to stress out as cortisol affects weight loss. I'm just so frustrated, I don't know what else to do!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    A food scale is the best tool I found to help with my weight loss. Check out this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10634517/you-dont-use-a-food-scale/p1
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh, trainer said I've gained 4 lbs of muscle...that doesn't make sense either.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    your weight will naturally fluctuate - are you weighing yourself daily or only on the days you see your trainer? you might consider a trending app that will give you a visual of weight loss over a time period
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Also, I hope your trainer is going by more than just the scale #. How about measurements? Sometimes you will see a decrease in inches even if the number on the scale is not going down. This has happened to me several times and then the weight will seem to "catch up" all at once later on. Just a thought!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    i think there can be a lot that contributes to that. I have weeks i hate that i call loading weeks. They are the week after my period where your body is trying to get you pregnant. I can do everything right and still not lose and it's so frustrating. I also agree with others if you are doing things like bootcamps and have sore muscles there is always water retention involved. I only do weights sat-tues to try and not be sore for my weigh ins on friday, because my scale is ALWAYS up when my muscles are sore. The main key here is no matter how frustrating it is, remember consistency is key. If you keep working out and stay at a calorie deficit the scale will move eventually. Just remember how healthy you are getting in the meantime.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also, i took a peek at your diary. If you are logging everything you are eating, I would call your diary somewhat impressive! Looks like you are doing a good job. I would stay consistent and drink a lot of water.
  • shelbygeorge29
    Options
    I'm already using a food scale to measure everything. Everything.

Trainer weighs me on a Rice Lake scale, you stand on and hold out 2 devices by your side for 60 seconds and it gives you this detailed report. How accurate the bf/muscle percentage is is definitely debatable. But it is accurate in that I gained this week. My period was 2 weeks ago, so it's not that.

I just don't know how motivated I can be if it's going to be this crazy hard to lose small amounts of weight. It's not like I only have 10 pounds to lose, at this stage of weight loss it should be coming off a little easier.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Some women also retain water during ovulation (about right for 2 weeks ago if you have an average cycle length). I tend to gain as much or more then as for TOM. And those readings are notoriously inaccurate for everything except weight.

Instead of thinking about how much weight you have to lose all together, break it up into smaller increments and celebrate your victories along the way.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Start weighing yourself every day and track it in an app like Happy Scale (Apple) or Libra (Android). The app should give you a moving average and it will help you understand you weight fluctuations. There are a bunch of reasons that you could be up 1.5 lb on the scale that have nothing to do with fat gain. It could be that you had an usually high sodium day or you are ovulating or on your period (those are the most common reasons my scale goes up). For all you know the scale was down 1.5 lbs yesterday.

Weighing in only once a week just doesn’t give you enough data points to understand how/why your weight is fluctuating. Ever since I started using Happy Scale I don’t get discouraged by the scale jumping up a couple pounds and it’s made it mentally easier for me to keep on track.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    So, if you're positive that your calories in are accurate, how are you measuring your calories out?
  • shelbygeorge29
    Options
    Only weighing weekly. I've had issues w scale, but I thought I needed more accountability and that maybe I would have better results if I tracked my weight closely. The scale makes me crazy, I've always had a very hard time losing weight. I just thought this go around I had all the right tools lined up and it wouldn't be such a struggle.
  • shelbygeorge29
    Options
    Sometimes the entry doesn't have a gram or ounce option, so I'll manipulate the measurement in cups/tsp/tbsp to make calories match. I weigh tomatoes and onions, but not peppers. I'm really trying to be accurate!!!