Bulking/cutting cycles.. how many?

Options
Hi everyone,
I’m just curious as to how many bulking/cutting cycles does it take to notice any real muscle gain? (Albeit I know everyone is different so it’s highly variable)
A little about me. I’m 44 yr old mother of four & have worked out my whole life ( or since I’ve been about 18)
For the last 10 years I’ve consistently weighed about 125lbs 19/20% bf
Last December of 2017 I tried my first ever bulk. I gained 15lbs in 6 months. I gained strength & overall size. I just felt and looked bigger. Fluffy & soft. I didn’t really like it.
Anyhow after 6 months I did my cut & got back down to 125-127 (which is what I weighed this morning) but a little disappointed because I don’t feel I really gained any noticeable muscle 🙁
But here’s the question: How many cycles of this bulking/cutting actually take to notice a difference?
One thing that I was surprised about, is that I was able to maintain my strength even during the cut. Happy about that.
But now it’s time to decide whether or not to do another cycle 🤷🏻‍♀️
Any input is greatly appreciated. TIA

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea as you said, it will be different from everyone. So it will depend on your overall goals, your height/weight, your genetics, how much you have gained total etc. Sometimes it's hard to see progress, I find comparing photos side by side is helps. Also, in most cases, if you want more significant progress, more than one bulk/cut will be necessary.

I can tell you what I did. I have run 3 bulk/cut cycles total.

I am 5'7" for reference. Being a bit taller muscle gain can be harder to notice on my frame at least. I started at 121lbs, my first bulk I got to 131lbs.. then cut down to 127lbs. That was actually a really significant bulk for me, muscle gain was amazing, I really built up my glutes from nothing. Then I got pregnant and lost a bit of muscle after losing the baby weight. So I ran another bulk, going from about 125lbs to 137lbs. That was another fairly significant difference because of my starting point. My last bulk I went from 129-144lbs. Then I cut down to 132lbs. To be honest, I felt like I didn't make much progress during the last one. But then I compare progress photos and you can see a bit of difference, but when I compare from the 121lbs before I started to now, you can really see it.

Anyways, it really can take a few bulk cycles to see a difference. If you don't feel like you look different even after comparing photos, it can't hurt to take a look at your programming, macros and how you are cutting so that you are actually building muscle and retaining it after you cut.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to look at your programming. Does it match your goals and expectations?

If you're back to your original weight, but at a lower body fat %, then you gained a little muscle.
  • mreichard
    mreichard Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I’m a guy, so YMMV, but I bulked from 185 to about 205, and I’m currently am cutting back down. I didn’t think I’d gained much muscle, but at 193 I’m leaner than I remember being at 185 (I currently have the most ab definition I’ve ever had). When I measured, I’d gained about 1.5 inches on biceps and 2 inches on chest. I plan to cut down to close to 185 (I wasn’t that lean when I started the bulk last time) and then bulk much more slowly and carefully.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    I second the recommendation to look at your programming. Does it match your goals and expectations?

If you're back to your original weight, but at a lower body fat %, then you gained a little muscle.

True. I haven’t checked my bf. I pretty much go from how I feel. How much I can pinch
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Yea as you said, it will be different from everyone. So it will depend on your overall goals, your height/weight, your genetics, how much you have gained total etc. Sometimes it's hard to see progress, I find comparing photos side by side is helps. Also, in most cases, if you want more significant progress, more than one bulk/cut will be necessary.

I am 5'7" for reference. Being a bit taller muscle gain can be harder to notice on my frame at least. I started at 121lbs, my first bulk I got to 131lbs.. then cut down to 127lbs. That was actually a really significant bulk for me, muscle gain was amazing, I really built up my glutes from nothing. Then I got pregnant and lost a bit of muscle after losing the baby weight. So I ran another bulk, going from about 125lbs to 137lbs. That was another fairly significant difference because of my starting point. My last bulk I went from 129-144lbs. Then I cut down to 132lbs. To be honest, I felt like I didn't make much progress during the last one. But then I compare progress photos and you can see a bit of difference, but when I compare from the 121lbs before I started to now, you can really see it.

Anyways, it really can take a few bulk cycles to see a difference. If you don't feel like you look different even after comparing photos, it can't hurt to take a look at your programming, macros and how you are cutting so that you are actually building muscle and retaining it after you cut.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Quick question. How long did you run your cycles for?
    Mine were 6 months on 6 months off
    Also did you get to the point where you couldn’t hit anymore pr’s?
  • sardelsa
    Options

Thank you for sharing your experience. Quick question. How long did you run your cycles for?

Bulk #1 - 4.5 months
    Bulk #2 - 8 months
    Bulk #3 - 7 months

Most cuts were fairly short except this last one which took almost as long as the bulk.

My lifting progress was fine, very slow but progressive. Reason to stop the bulks and move on to cut was more about bodyfat %, feeling sluggish and sick of food, visual progress (reaching my goal) and giving myself enough time to cut before summer or vacation.
  • DDW1989
    DDW1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that for a woman bulking naturally, your progress would be really slow and minimal with a gain of only 15lbs over 6 months. I just finished cutting after bulking for about 6 months and am pretty pleased with my progress. My starting weight was 137 and I bulked to 165. I just cut down to 145 and I feel that during my bulk I gained about 8lbs of muscle of the 28lbs total I gained. During both my bulk and cut my training and diet were very on-point though with both prepared for me by my coach.

This is the last week of my cut and then I will go back into maintenance for a bit before bulking again. Gaining noticeable, quality muscle is really difficult for women and it's definitely not a quick process. As was mentioned above, I think that multiple bulk/cut cycles will be necessary to get the look you want.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    DDW1989 wrote: »
    I think that for a woman bulking naturally, your progress would be really slow and minimal with a gain of only 15lbs over 6 months. I just finished cutting after bulking for about 6 months and am pretty pleased with my progress. My starting weight was 137 and I bulked to 165. I just cut down to 145 and I feel that during my bulk I gained about 8lbs of muscle of the 28lbs total I gained. During both my bulk and cut my training and diet were very on-point though with both prepared for me by my coach.

This is the last week of my cut and then I will go back into maintenance for a bit before bulking again. Gaining noticeable, quality muscle is really difficult for women and it's definitely not a quick process. As was mentioned above, I think that multiple bulk/cut cycles will be necessary to get the look you want.

some may gain more than 15lbs in 6 months and some less. genetics also play a part. sure being a woman its going to be slower than a male. but there are some outliers out there .as for the 28lbs you gained how are you gauging you gained 8lbs of muscle?(could be more could be less).
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options

This makes a lot of sense. But for my height I’d be afraid to go over 15 lbs. ugh 😑 so frustrating
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options

Bulk #1 - 4.5 months
    Bulk #2 - 8 months
    Bulk #3 - 7 months

Most cuts were fairly short except this last one which took almost as long as the bulk.

My lifting progress was fine, very slow but progressive. Reason to stop the bulks and move on to cut was more about bodyfat %, feeling sluggish and sick of food, visual progress (reaching my goal) and giving myself enough time to cut before summer or vacation.

My reasons were the same. But also I was getting minor injuries. 😏
  • sardelsa
    Options

What was your starting and ending bodyfat %? Did you have any mini-cuts in between? 28lbs would be too much for me personally all in one go. Bulking just becomes exhausting for me after too long, none of my cute tight clothes fit properly and I get sluggish. I prefer to split it up and then re-evaluate my goals each time to see what needs work. But everyone has their way of doing things.. it definitely sounds and looks like it worked for you, awesome :)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    OP, did you take any progress photos before and after? There is probably significant differences and you just can't tell because you forgot what you looked like before. I've kind of recompbulked and gained probably 10-12lbs of muscle over 2 years.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Many variables.

1. How you respond to training. Are you sensitive, resistant, or somewhere in between.
    2. Your programming. Just because someone else has/doesn't achieved great results with a certain program, doesn't mean you will or won't. Hence why I'm not a fan on recommending most cookie cutter programs that aren't built specifically to your response to training. Some are built on good data and are science based for the average person though.
    3. Age. As we advance in years, most people have a hard time producing MPS as efficiently as we did when we were younger. Can it be done? Yep, but it goes back to #1.
    4. History of training and hypertrophy. If we did it previously, it easier to gain it back. That being said, the longer we train repetitively, the ability to produce muscle and strength lowers. Meaning we can gain fairly well, but the longer training goes on the more work we have to do to obtain results.
    5. Gender. This is a bit more tricky then most people realize. There are females who excellent responders to training just as there are males. There are females that are terrible responders, just as they are males. Generally speaking there is literature that states the more male traits you have, the better you will respond. So wide shoulders, small waist line, etc...

If you maintained strength during your cut as you mentioned, you were running a program the leans towards your needs. I usually gain strength during my cuts, though they are very short because my goal isn't to be extreme low body fat as I hover 13-18%.

The amount of cycles? That you would have a better idea by grooming over your data and your future plans.

• DDW1989
    DDW1989 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

What was your starting and ending bodyfat %? Did you have any mini-cuts in between? 28lbs would be too much for me personally all in one go. Bulking just becomes exhausting for me after too long, none of my cute tight clothes fit properly and I get sluggish. I prefer to split it up and then re-evaluate my goals each time to see what needs work. But everyone has their way of doing things.. it definitely sounds and looks like it worked for you, awesome :)

My starting bodyfat % was about 20% and ending was about 28% with no mini-cuts or anything during the 6 months. It was definitely a big weight gain and I did struggle towards the end when I started to feel a bit too "fluffy" and sluggish. To be honest, I never intended to bulk up quite up to that weight; however, when I started to get close to my original starting weight (160 Prior to my initial weight loss and starting to get into bodybuilding with the guidance of a coach) I wanted to get there so that I could compare the change in the composition of my body at the same weight. It was a very interesting process and I think that it helped me to build a good amount of muscle and change the shape of my body. It was a challenge to gain so much weight but it was nice to have so much strength and energy at the gym, even if I did struggle to fit into my work clothes, lol.

I am planning for my next bulk to be a bit more of a moderate one in order to minimize fat gain and set myself up for my next cut where I am hoping to get much leaner. I think that the results of a bulk, in terms of muscle gain, are so dependent on your training (As mentioned above) and whether or not you are really putting those extra calories to good use. Unfortunately, the amount of muscle you can build naturally is pretty minimal even with ideal training and diet so I really just decided to fully commit to bulking and feeling uncomfortable temporarily to try and maximize my muscle gains during that period.
  • billkansas
    billkansas Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Do you track your lifts, at least the big compound ones like squat, deadlift? This might help to get that monkey off your back on whether you've made progress or not. If your lifting more, you're stronger.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    Do you track your lifts, at least the big compound ones like squat, deadlift? This might help to get that monkey off your back on whether you've made progress or not. If your lifting more, you're stronger.

I did then I got stuck or stalled with progressing and the minor injuries or form was off. So I got discouraged & dialed it back.
  • billkansas
    Options
    If you push it there will always be minor tweaks. Don't get discouraged. I'm a fan of "Barbell Medicine" and they have a great webcast about injuries under "resources"- enlightening. I lost strength during my cut but as a percentage of my body-weight I'm still having some of the best lifts of my life at age 49. When I bulk again next year I'm hoping to beat all of my all-time best lifts and get in the 1000 lb club once and for all. Trying to do this on a two day per week (about 3 hours per week) program.
  • billkansas
    Options
    I'm nursing a tweaked shoulder right now too.... anyone trying to push the limit is going to have some minor setbacks along the way. What's important is that you keep training.
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    billkansas wrote: »
    If you push it there will always be minor tweaks. Don't get discouraged. I'm a fan of "Barbell Medicine" and they have a great webcast about injuries under "resources"- enlightening. I lost strength during my cut but as a percentage of my body-weight I'm still having some of the best lifts of my life at age 49. When I bulk again next year I'm hoping to beat all of my all-time best lifts and get in the 1000 lb club once and for all. Trying to do this on a two day per week (about 3 hours per week) program.

Oh my goodness. Talk about inspiration 😱
  • monicalifestylefitness
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Many variables.

1. How you respond to training. Are you sensitive, resistant, or somewhere in between.
    2. Your programming. Just because someone else has/doesn't achieved great results with a certain program, doesn't mean you will or won't. Hence why I'm not a fan on recommending most cookie cutter programs that aren't built specifically to your response to training. Some are built on good data and are science based for the average person though.
    3. Age. As we advance in years, most people have a hard time producing MPS as efficiently as we did when we were younger. Can it be done? Yep, but it goes back to #1.
    4. History of training and hypertrophy. If we did it previously, it easier to gain it back. That being said, the longer we train repetitively, the ability to produce muscle and strength lowers. Meaning we can gain fairly well, but the longer training goes on the more work we have to do to obtain results.
    5. Gender. This is a bit more tricky then most people realize. There are females who excellent responders to training just as there are males. There are females that are terrible responders, just as they are males. Generally speaking there is literature that states the more male traits you have, the better you will respond. So wide shoulders, small waist line, etc...

If you maintained strength during your cut as you mentioned, you were running a program the leans towards your needs. I usually gain strength during my cuts, though they are very short because my goal isn't to be extreme low body fat as I hover 13-18%.

The amount of cycles? That you would have a better idea by grooming over your data and your future plans.

There is so much good information here, I literally keep rereading it. Thank you 🙏🏻
    As far as #5 goes. Yes and yes. I’m so soft & feminine looking. Kinda curvy.
    My measurements are 36,29,36 🙄
    I guess I’m trying really really hard to overcome my genetics 😭