Anybody gained weight while tapering Risperidone?

I was on 3 mg Risperidone from January 2018. From August, the doctor has started tapering the medicine & now it has come down to 1.5mg. Something unusual I found is that 1 gained 2-3Kg particularly a month I was careful about what I ate and exercised however I can. My colleagues & friends too told me, I look like I have gained weight apart from the fact I too feel it. The only difference I made that month was the following:
1. Ate oats with just hot water & salt for lunch. Sometimes even for dinner.
2. Had probiotics everyday. The packet says it helps in weight management.
3. Had 3 tablets (as given on the label) of https://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Female-Multiple-Tablets.htm everyday

Does vitamins or probiotics cause weight gain? Oats? or is it risperidone?
I weigh 89Kg, 5 2", female, 35 yrs old

Replies

• smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    edited November 2018
    I googled resperidone because I didn't know what it was and the second link on google had a list of side effects including weight gain. Did your doctor not go through the possible side effects with you?

Excess calories cause weight gain. So if the oats are causing you to eat more calories than normal then it could be the oats. Probiotics... their effects on weight management are controversial. Improving your gut health might improve your health in general but they don't override calories being king as far as weight gain/ loss. Same for vitamins.

I would definitely ask your doctor, but from knowing a few people who gained mad amounts of weight on steroid meds, it was quick and noticeable, particularly in their face, and it was all water retention. I don't know if this is the same thing but 3kg/ month of actual weight gain is an extra 800kcal over maintenance every day and I don't know if you could do that by accident.
  • TimeToReduceFat
    TimeToReduceFat Posts: 127 Member
    Yes, weight gain is a side effect. But that should have been the case when I began the medicine not while tapering.
  • smolmaus
    If you know weight gain is a possible side effect and you're changing your dose, that makes it a much more likely culprit for sudden weight gain than vitamin pills or oats. That's the simplest explanation.

Maybe it's the case that the change in doseage is causing a reaction and it will settle again but that's a question for your doctor.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Risperidone usually has a dose dependent weight gain association
    Probiotics - do not manage weight/have no weight loss/gain associations (that's marketing BS; statement not verified by the FDA)

Likely other variables at play that are being overlooked...sleep, diet, NEAT, exercise, etc.
    Yeah, it's too easy for people to blame something on an emotionless, inert, sometimes costly pharmaceutical...even when it makes no sense
  • TimeToReduceFat
    Risperidone usually has a dose dependent weight gain association
    Probiotics - do not manage weight/have no weight loss/gain associations (that's marketing BS; statement not verified by the FDA)

Likely other variables at play that are being overlooked...sleep, diet, NEAT, exercise, etc.
    Yeah, it's too easy for people to blame something on an emotionless, inert, sometimes costly pharmaceutical...even when it makes no sense

Do Vitamins & minerals cause weight gain? Someone said so.
  • smolmaus

Nope. Excess calories cause weight (fat) gain.

Who/ what is "someone"?
  • TimeToReduceFat
    smolmaus wrote: »

Nope. Excess calories cause weight (fat) gain.

Who/ what is "someone"?

a friend
  • smolmaus

a friend

I would ask them where they got that information. Vitamins themselves don't contain calories as such so on the face of it it's hard to see how they could have caused you to gain 3kg in a month.

From another quick google it seems to be a frequently asked question "do multivitamins cause weight gain" but none of the results for several searches showed any sort of official government or health-body advice agreeing that they do and the one study I saw (but did not thoroughly vet, to be fair) was about B-vitamin fortification of breads/ cereals and formula and didn't seem to have enough evidence for a causal relationship from a quick skim.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!