Massage and Long Run Timing

Options
Hi There,

Is it OK to do a long run the day after a deep tissue massage or would it be better to do the long run a few hours before the massage? It’s a distance I can run comfortably.

Thanks.

Replies

• Peloton2019
    Peloton2019 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would do the run before the massage. When I was running long distance and getting deep tissue massages, I found that the day after the massage, my legs could feel heavy or sore.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    How long is long? I get massages monthly on Fridays and my long runs are on Saturdays. If it’s a long long run, I wouldn’t want to get a massage for at least a few days (and my massage therapist won’t do anything even semi-deep in the days immediately following a long long run or race). If it’s a short long run - then whatever you prefer. I’d still go before, but I run better on loose legs.

I’d put the long-long run threshold at 10-12 miles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi There,

Is it OK to do a long run the day after a deep tissue massage or would it be better to do the long run a few hours before the massage? It’s a distance I can run comfortably.

Thanks.

Depends if it's nice deep tissue or sports massage deep tissue IMO?
  • Jebe75
    Jebe75 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just the massage... No running at all 😂🤪
  • Charlene____
    Charlene____ Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I’ll head out for my long run tomorrow then and have Thursday as a rest day.