Anyone training for half marathons?

Options
2»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I've run 3 halfs in races plus a few more as training runs for fulls and I guess you could say I'm currently training for a half as I have a race in March, but my next half distance run is on Sunday.

My advice, don't push too hard to start with, that first half is going to be a pr no matter what, unless you don't finish.

Take your long runs nice and easy, it's more about time on your feet than speed.

Don't be afraid to walk if you need to, there's an actual legitimate running method called jeffing that involves run/walk intervals. I tried it for the first time over the last couple of weeks and smashed 5minutes off my ten mile time.

Vary your routes, include hills in some, long straights.

If you can incorporate actual hill repeats (run up a hill, walk back down (or gently run down), repeat for 20mins) and sprints (choose a long straight road/path with regular lamposts, run as fast as you can to one walk to next repeat. As you get better you can increase the sprint distance to 2/3/4 lamposts and add recovery runs rather than walking)

Practise with fuelling now, you may not need anything during for a half distance but it's a good idea to start deciding now. Some people use gels, but I don't like how they feel in my mouth, so I use Percy Piglets, which are a vegetarian sweet that's probably only available in the UK. If you're not veggie then there's jelly beans that are a similar size.

It's also a good idea to play with which foods to eat in the 24hrs before you do your long run. I do best with a large, carb heavy dinner the night before and then a big bowl of porridge with nuts, honey and berries at least an hour before I run.

Fluids are also an important aspect, I always make sure I drink more water than usual the day before a race/long run. Decide whether you want to carry water, and how you want to carry it. I can't carry bottles of water they just annoy me so used to use a hydration pack. Now I've got used to not taking on anything other than at water stations.

Talking about water stations, try to find out whether the water is supplied in bottles or paper cups. If it's in cups it's worth learning how to drink from a cup while running, I almost choked the first time I tried. (You need to squeeze the rim of the cup to create a spout and then sip). It's also worth thinking about only drinking half and then pouring the rest on the back of your neck, especially if it's warm.

Watch the floor at water stations, lots of people just throw their cups/bottles on the road when they're done so if you're near the back it can be a bit slippy.

Most important advice is have fun, I'll never be super fast, I'm at the back of the middle of the pack and it's a great place to be, we all support each other (although I will still sprint at the end no matter whether I've just run 2 miles with you)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I've got my next HM coming up in February.

Best advice I can offer is to find a suitable training plan and follow it. If you've already been running for a couple of years and have done a 10 mile race you're probably a good candidate for Hal Higdon's intermediate 1. It may be your first race but it sounds like you've got the aerobic base to start at a little more advanced plan.

The Intermediate 1 is designed to get you across the finish line with a smile on your face, the Intermediate 2 focuses more on speed.

When it comes to race day watch your pace, it's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of race day and go out too fast. If the race has pace bunnies latch on to the one with your estimated finish time, most of them that I've ever raced with have been excellent pacers.

Practice your nutrition before race day. You mentioned using GU so it sounds like your stomach already tolerates it well. Check to see what the race is handing out, if it's not GU spend a few bucks on a race belt that has gel loops and take your own supply with you. Everyone has their own preferences but I'll usually have a light breakfast 3 hours or so ahead of gun time then pop a gel 5 or 10 minutes before the start and then one every 45 minutes so 3 will get me through a half marathon.

And, most importantly, remember to smile for the finish line photo. Have fun!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,694 Member
    Options
    I think it's best to bring your own gels, because a) they often don't offer them until late in the race, which may be too late, b) they won't necessarily have a kind that you like and that your stomach can tolerate. It took me a long time to figure out which ones didn't upset my stomach. Practice on runs over 10 miles. I agree with Brian Sharpe, since you have some experience, aim for an intermediate program, not a novice one. It will give you more miles, which will improve your training and make race day much better.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    relax
    have fun
    no new things day of the race. i train with the gels and drink they use for the race.
    body glide every thing.
    don't start out too fast. run your own race. go your own pace