How to lose weight when life is crazy stressful?

Options
2»

Replies

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

In her opening post, she mentions working. Doing that, and having kids is already *two* full time jobs. ;

Also, if she's clinically depressed and is suffering from an anxiety disorder, that is the result of a brain chemical imbalance that won't be alleviated by 'helping someone else' to make herself feel better. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like that.

OP: I urge you to make an appointment with your family doctor to discuss your struggles and symptoms. [/quote]

So I regularly see my family doctor about it as well as I see a therapist a few times a year. Unfortunately due to money that’s as much as I can do.
    My doctor suggested getting healthier physically can help mentally and I have tried taking a few things.
    The problem is a huge side effect of most antidepressants and anti anxiety meds is weight gain! 🤦🏼‍♀️
    I’m seriously trying to get healthier and to a healthy bmi.
    I will definitely try to do more activity’s with my children outside the home, it’s really hard to go outside where I live currently because it gets so cold but any time it’s warmer out I will try.
    I definitely agree that I need to make myself a priority and do something for myself everyday.

• MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Today I’m going to push though it and work out! Even if it’s only 15 minutes. Because I feel better after and I know in the long run I’ll feel better mentally and physically
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Tracking my calories may be ONE of the few things I CAN control when life is stressful. I find it helpful and the end of the day to see I stuck with something that will pay off in the long run even though I felt stabby all day.

Working out is an amazing way to relive stress if you have the time for it.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

So I regularly see my family doctor about it as well as I see a therapist a few times a year. Unfortunately due to money that’s as much as I can do.
    My doctor suggested getting healthier physically can help mentally and I have tried taking a few things.
    The problem is a huge side effect of most antidepressants and anti anxiety meds is weight gain! 🤦🏼‍♀️
    I’m seriously trying to get healthier and to a healthy bmi.
    I will definitely try to do more activity’s with my children outside the home, it’s really hard to go outside where I live currently because it gets so cold but any time it’s warmer out I will try.
    I definitely agree that I need to make myself a priority and do something for myself everyday.

I'm glad you're getting some help with this! Hugs to you.

To the bolded: Anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications do not, in and of themselves, directly cause weight gain.

The reason weight gain is listed as a possible side effect is because - for some people - they can stimulate the appetite. Nothing more. The person taking these meds is still in complete control of whether they gain weight by responding to that or not.

Just didn't want that to be a reason for you not considering medication if your condition warrants it. You are definitely *not* doomed to gain weight on these, as you would still be in the driver's seat as to what and how much you consume.