Winter running - tips, tricks, advice?

Options
What are your tips and insights for running in below freezing temperatures?

Replies

• funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I'll start....

I learned during yesterday's run that the road edge has significantly fewer icy patches than the sidewalk.
  • Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’m a wimp. I just run inside when it’s cold.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My go to for winter running is to first check the wind and temperature. I then go to the runners world site and pull up their what to wear calculator and input the temp, wind, time of day, rain etc. It got rid of the problem at the one mile mark where you get that hot flash and think "oh my gosh I am overdressed".
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Layers. Yaktrak. Hot chocolate treat at the end.

But also the acceptance that even though a treadmill isn't ideal, sometimes it works in a pinch. (I won't go out below 20, or if the wind chill is below 20. I also don't do sleet and ice.)
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    My go to for winter running is to first check the wind and temperature. I then go to the runners world site and pull up their what to wear calculator and input the temp, wind, time of day, rain etc. It got rid of the problem at the one mile mark where you get that hot flash and think "oh my gosh I am overdressed".

This^^^. I run in the cold. Granted, in Central Texas we are warmer than many parts of the world in winter. Wind is the big issue here - there is always wind with the cold. I rarely get to run on those cold, crisp clear days. Usually it's 5:00 AM, 15mph wind, and 25 degrees. That's *kitten* cold for me.

I manage with good clothing. Gore windstopper material is expensive but does a good job. Layers are your friend. I try to accept being a bit uncomfortable for the first 10-15 minutes until I warm up. I'm a fan of smartwool winter running socks. Recently I have been using some trail running clothes made by Arc'teryx. This stuff is pricey but I have found it to be high quality and it performs well.

Edit: Also winter running is very mental for me. Folks go skiing in ridiculously cold weather and then wimp out on a run... I don't get that. As is often the case just getting dressed and out the door is the battle. I've never regretted a run in the cold - it's usually not really that bad.
  • funjen1972
    Options

Edit: Also winter running is very mental for me. Folks go skiing in ridiculously cold weather and then wimp out on a run... I don't get that. As is often the case just getting dressed and out the door is the battle. I've never regretted a run in the cold - it's usually not really that bad.

I hadn't made the correlation to skiing, but you are absolutely correct! This is my first winter running in about 20 years because it was 'too cold', but people work and play in the cold all the time.

My motto this year is the best way to warm up when it's cold is a calorie burn.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    layers, buff or two for the face
    trail shoes
    yaktrax
    be visible

i sometimes will run in the road (into traffic) because the sidewalks aren't always clear. but in general, i like to stay on the sidewalk.

warm bath and coffee or cocoa when i get home
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If it's icy, then the treadmill. Cold I can layer for.

This. Getting the right running clothes (in layers) made all the difference.

I still can't figure out what to do about the ice -- where I am, sidewalks right now are stretches (or patches, sometimes) of perfectly cleared concrete followed by stretches of ice, and sometimes it's hard to know what you are going to run into. I am not running on the streets (I'm in city neighborhoods, no driveways, and it's often before light). Streets are narrow with cars parked along them but for the busy ones.

I have yaktrax, but I've assumed they would be bad/dangerous where you were going from ice to not (vs. having a consistent trail of ice or snow). Advice anyone?
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options

Here's a link to the Runners World tools page--I use it all of the time! https://www.runnersworld.com/tools

I tend to run indoors if there is any ice or snow... or if there is enough snow I'll go out on the trails with my running snowshoes. But if I am road running--I wear as bright of colors as possible because of the flat light.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I’ve heard that you should dress as though it’s 20 degrees warmer than it really is, and that works pretty well for me.

Here’s the Runners World link someone mentioned: https://www.runnersworld.com/beginner/a20834718/the-newbie-guide-to-running-when-its-cold/. It has a chart plus a link to the calculator. I used a chart like this one when I lived in North Carolina and it actually got a little cold. We had a lot of ice there in the winter, and I was generally not okay with running on ice.

I now live on the central California coast, so it doesn’t get very cold, but we do get lots of wind, and a rainy winter season. I wear a tank top if it’s 60 degrees or above, a T-shirt if it’s in the 50s, and long sleeves if it’s in the 40s. I might wear light gloves at the beginning of my run too. When I ran in colder temperatures, I would add a light jacket and switch from crops to fleece lined tights in the 30s. Below that I might add a thin extra top layer, but I usually found that long sleeve technical shirt + sweatshirt + jacket was too warm after the first five minutes. I also had pants that would fit over my tights, but it never got cold enough for me to wear those.

Today it is 60 degrees and raining here. I’m gonna stick my phone in a plastic bag and go run at lunch.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I...

- dress for the wind more than the cold
    - put extra emphasis on being visible
    - shorten my stride when footing/traction is questionable
    - keep a good sweat going - letting sweat get cold is the worst
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

This^^^. I run in the cold. Granted, in Central Texas we are warmer than many parts of the world in winter. Wind is the big issue here - there is always wind with the cold. I rarely get to run on those cold, crisp clear days. Usually it's 5:00 AM, 15mph wind, and 25 degrees. That's *kitten* cold for me.

I manage with good clothing. Gore windstopper material is expensive but does a good job. Layers are your friend. I try to accept being a bit uncomfortable for the first 10-15 minutes until I warm up. I'm a fan of smartwool winter running socks. Recently I have been using some trail running clothes made by Arc'teryx. This stuff is pricey but I have found it to be high quality and it performs well.

This is true for me. Pre-run dreading the cold is the worst part for me. Once I begin running I am glad to be out there and it's never as bad as I feel like it is going to be, especially after the first mile or so.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I love to ski and sometimes fall victim to overdressing. You can also get some crazy temperature changes from the base to 12,000 feet. Usually I can smooth it out by opening some zippered vents or the front zipper. I can go running down to the low twentys but live in fear of black ice. I know to be on the lookout if there is any snow (rare in the South) but the bigger danger is irrigation. Many leave it on and with temps in the mid twentys this morning it can really pose a hazard.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    If it's icy, then the treadmill. Cold I can layer for.

This. Getting the right running clothes (in layers) made all the difference.

I still can't figure out what to do about the ice -- where I am, sidewalks right now are stretches (or patches, sometimes) of perfectly cleared concrete followed by stretches of ice, and sometimes it's hard to know what you are going to run into. I am not running on the streets (I'm in city neighborhoods, no driveways, and it's often before light). Streets are narrow with cars parked along them but for the busy ones.

I have yaktrax, but I've assumed they would be bad/dangerous where you were going from ice to not (vs. having a consistent trail of ice or snow). Advice anyone?

I really don't find the trax I have (can't remember the brand) as being great on ice. But on slick snow they worked well. Won't be long before I need them here.

I've tried runny where it is icy and it just isn't worth it to me.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I don't have access to a treadmill so I haven't been running yet this week :( I don't mind the cold but I won't go run on the ice... I'm considering getting a planet fitness membership for the winter. There's one like 5 minutes from my office.

ETA nevermind i guess the month to month membership costs more. :s
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Multiple thin layers! On top I happen to wear two or three thin layers of wool, the outer one usually unzips, then a wind breaker over that. If it is colder than -20C I pop a down vest over the top of all that. For bottoms I wear thin wool tights, winter weight tights, and again dependant on wind and temp wind breakers over top. On feet, one or two pairs of wool socks, I have to switch out of toe shoes once it is colder than -10C and into my merrel barefoot style shoes, and leg warmers pulled down over the heels to keep snow out. Thin gloves with again, wool mitts on top, a thin wool beanie, with a thicker toque on top. I can’t find a face mask that doesn’t fog my glasses so I just wear a scarf and pull it up and down as my glasses frost and thaw. I love good wool merino if you have not noticed. It never smells, lasts forever, regulates temp and moisture quite well. I have a good collection and am constantly scouring second hand stores for it too. People don’t often value it as much as I do. I have even been known to buy sweaters just so I can purposely shrink them down to my size or ft them and then cut them into mitten patters and boot/shoe liners.

ETA: the stableicers brand grippers for shoes are far superior on ice. I used to wear them while walking a 110lb dog on ice leash who pulled. Kept me from skating everywhere we went.
  • funjen1972
    Options
    I agree layered clothing with zippers and/or vents is best. Yesterday in 18° with light wind and snow I wore a thin pair of running tights and looser running pants, turtleneck thermal, long sleeve thermal, light fleece, gloves, wool socks, knit hat. About 10 minutes in the fleece got unzipped. I was ready to take it off after another 20 minutes, but I only had another mile to go. Typically, I end up tying the fleece around my waist on runs longer than 5-6 miles.

When I'm done I start stripping the layers before I go inside. Otherwise I'm miserable hot and sweaty which quickly turns to cold and shivering.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    I find I need a lot fewer clothes than I expected for running in cold. The RW tool is helpful but warmer than I need or want. I keep a list of what I wear under different conditions (wind, feels like, clouds or sun) and how it felt. Coldest temperature was 16, coldest feels like temp was 1 degree F. For both I was sweating. I'm usually warm with wind pants, long sleeved shirt and a wind jacket with gloves and either an ear band or fleece hat. If it's really cold a light balaclava for my face. I learned that if I'm comfortable when I leave the house, I'm wearing too much. It's better if I'm cool, then I warm up in a mile or so and usually have the gloves off by 3 or 4 miles.

I won't go out on snowy icy roads because it isn't safe with the hills and blind corners. Not only am I afraid of falling, I worry about someone losing control swerving to avoid me. There is one park that clears a paved path that I can run in when there's snow out, otherwise I run on the TM if it's snowy/icy.