Are you using MFP to track macros or calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    When I started in 2014, low carb (particularly super low carb/keto) was not nearly as hot as now, but counting macros was popular. I recall people talking about it and discussions about how to set macros (with a focus on protein, but I think there was more focus on fat and carbs being specific numbers/percentages than there is now among non low carbers).

^ This is how I remember things as well.

For me personally: I count calories for weight management, hit my protein, fat tends to take care of itself and carbs fall where they may (usually 150+).

Yeah, same here. I watch protein, watched fiber until I was comfortable it wasn't an issue because I was consistently hitting it, and tend to eat to preference with fat and carbs (which is more often than not slightly low carb, but not always and I don't care).

When I started my focus was eating healthfully and to my calories but not to any macros, but I learned that watching protein would be a good idea. Just cutting back on snacking/emotional eating and adding some protein to my breakfasts was basically what I needed. I think often the usefulness of macros is just adding structure, and understanding foods better, but for some I think it makes a difference to satisfaction or satiety -- fat doesn't really sate me, fiber and protein do, but I find it's important for having a sustainable diet for me due to satisfaction/pleasure.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,148 Member
    Options
    Calories, carbs, protein, fats, fiber and sodium.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    When I started in 2014, low carb (particularly super low carb/keto) was not nearly as hot as now, but counting macros was popular. I recall people talking about it and discussions about how to set macros (with a focus on protein, but I think there was more focus on fat and carbs being specific numbers/percentages than there is now among non low carbers).

I came in towards the end of 2014 I think, and that's how I remember it. I remember some LCHF people, but not much in the way of keto (if any).

I do remember a lot of IIFYM and people explaining what it really was as opposed to what people thought it was.

For me personally? I hit a calorie goal, know that I want to eat a lot of protein because it's satiating for me, know that I need a lot of vegetables because I feel better when I do and I like fiber, know that I need some starch with both of them, and then round that out with some fat. My macros are pretty much dictated by food choices which are made knowing those things about myself.