FitBit Charge - Walking Calories

Options
DawnOfTheDead_Lift
DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I started wearing my fitbit again and I noticed that the walking calories seems high.

I checked my profile and my profile appears accurate. He is a sample 30 minute walk workout that got recorded

Time: 30'54
Distance : 1.43 I was 2.8 on the treadmill so about spot on
Calories Burned: 313

The calories burned is almost double then if I log the entry from MFP database.

What am I to make of this?

ETA: My version does not have a HR tracker.

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    What's the calorie adjustment it sends to MFP? Remember that on your Fitbit dashboard, you're seeing gross calories burned, so that includes your BMR.

If you want to know a rough approximation how much Fitbit is just crediting you for exercise, here's a site that will convert gross calories burned (what you see on your Fitbit dashboard) to net calories burned (what you see in the MFP data base):

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.shtml
  • DawnOfTheDead_Lift
    DawnOfTheDead_Lift Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    What's the calorie adjustment it sends to MFP? Remember that on your Fitbit dashboard, you're seeing gross calories burned, so that includes your BMR.

If you want to know a rough approximation how much Fitbit is just crediting you for exercise, here's a site that will convert gross calories burned (what you see on your Fitbit dashboard) to net calories burned (what you see in the MFP data base):

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/net-versus-gross-calorie-burn-conversion-calculator.shtml

My understanding is MFP database walking entry is based on established MET calculations which is a gross calories burned number. Even so entering the information on the site it would still be over by more than 100 calories.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

My understanding is MFP database walking entry is based on established MET calculations which is a gross calories burned number. Even so entering the information on the site it would still be over by more than 100 calories.

You are only estimating your speed when you enter your information, your Fitbit is a better gauge of your intensity, particularly if you've had it a while.

Furthermore, I don't know what to tell you, I think MFP made adjustments to the data base a while ago to account for your BMR since it's already accounted for in your base calorie allowance. The data it uses might be extrapolated from MET data, but that doesn't mean it can't take BMR into account and arrive at a net figure.