Hayfever medication (antihistamines) and running

Options
Orphia
Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
edited November 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
I had throat constriction, sore eyes and runny nose when running Melbourne Marathon in October.

Doctors have said it was hayfever (not exercise-induced asthma/bronchioconstriction).

I hadn't had the throat constriction thing before, nor ever been diagnosed with hayfever, but I have had sneezy days and other symptoms when I look back.

The doctor I saw on Monday said to buy non-drowsy antihistamines over the counter and use them on high pollen days.

I've now got some antihistamine tablets which are 180 mg Fexofenadine Hydrochloride.

It will be a high pollen day on Saturday, and I'll be walking parkrun (5 km), so I thought I'd test the tablets then.

I have a Half Marathon on Sunday, and it's predicted to be a medium pollen day, so depending on how Saturday goes, I might take one for that.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Have you got any advice on running and antihistamines?

Replies

• SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The one you mention is generic of Allegra. Zyrtec or Cetrizine Hcl is also good, and can be taken half a dose according to the label if a full dose dries you out too much.
    I couldn't run without them. TMI - I also use mucinex to thin out some of the thick mucus from post nasal drip.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    SusanUW83 wrote: »
    The one you mention is generic of Allegra. Zyrtec or Cetrizine Hcl is also good, and can be taken half a dose according to the label if a full dose dries you out too much.
    I couldn't run without them. TMI - I also use mucinex to thin out some of the thick mucus from post nasal drip.

Thank you! Is that what they do - dry you out?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I used to live on Allegra when I was younger. I got Spring allergies that would have me feeling like I had the flu if I didn't take something. Allegra was awesome. I did not run then so I can't say how it would effect me. Good idea trying it on Saturday.
    I would suggest trying at least one run as well. You don't want to find out on race day what it may do to your body.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I almost always take Telfast before a run ... especially if it's cool or there's a high pollen count.