Still having trouble

Options
mtdb8
mtdb8 Posts: 65 Member
Ok, so I was actually under .y calorie goal yesterday by about 19 calories. That normally never happens

What normally happens is I'm over by about 100-200 calories or more. When I look back I can see what stupid thing I ate that put me over. And even though the next day I dont eat that again I end up eating something just as stupid.

I have too many weak moments and I'm too hungry to have the discipline needed

Thoughts on how to overcome?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    what are your stats and how many calories are you eating?

what are you eating that's leaving you hungry?
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    opening your diary would help?
  • mtdb8
    Options
    I'm not ready to open my diary. As for how many calories it's just over 1600, so it should be plenty. It's not though for a whole day. I have low activity levels and weigh 245. And I'm about 5.2
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    mtdb8 wrote: »
    I'm not ready to open my diary. As for how many calories it's just over 1600, so it should be plenty. It's not though for a whole day. I have low activity levels and weigh 245. And I'm about 5.2

look at your macros for satiety
  • mtdb8
    Options
    My macros are bad. Too many carbs and fat and the like. Not enough vitamins. Usually half and half on the proteins. But what do I do about it? It seems kind of random. I will admit I dont know what I'm doing
  • kmiller2528
    kmiller2528 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It might help you to meet with a dietician to get some guidance. Your general practitioner should be able to refer you to someone.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    My macros are bad. Too many carbs and fat and the like. Not enough vitamins. Usually half and half on the proteins. But what do I do about it? It seems kind of random. I will admit I dont know what I'm doing

Pre log so you can try and hit your macros
  • hippysprout
    hippysprout Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options

Pre log so you can try and hit your macros

^ this. I used to prelog several days in advance so I had time to tweak the foods I was eating to meet my macro goals. Now I prelog as much as a week in advance just because it makes my daily routine smoother and easier to stick to. You can always adjust a prelogged meal if you decide to add or change something, but at least you'll have a starting point that will allow you to begin learning which foods leave you hungry and which ones satisfy you.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I first started. There is a learning curve.

My best tips are to study your FOOD page and learn about macros. Also, for me it helps to get protein, fat, and carbs in every meal or snack. I make sure I hit my protein goal every day, because that's the most important one and it's the one I struggle to meet.

Vegetables. Start adding them in. They help with nutrients, fiber and satiety.

It just takes time to learn. You'll get there. 1800 is still good! Still better than what you were eating. I lost a lot of weight at about that level. Take a walk every day, that will help with hunger (and give you a couple hundred more calories to eat, too.)
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    You could also check out the volume eaters thread on here. There are good ideas for lower calorie substitutions so you get to eat more food within your calorie allotment. That may help you feel fuller.

(I'm on my phone so I'd appreciate it if someone could share the link to it)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    funjen1972 wrote: »
    You could also check out the volume eaters thread on here. There are good ideas for lower calorie substitutions so you get to eat more food within your calorie allotment. That may help you feel fuller.

(I'm on my phone so I'd appreciate it if someone could share the link to it)

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10563959/volume-eaters-thread/p1

:)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Agreed, OP. Protein, fat, and fiber are usually filling for people in some combination. So look back at your log and see if one of them is usually low, and start focusing on getting up to that goal. Baby steps if you need to.

Prelogging made a huge difference for me. Either the night before or in the morning, I log what I'm intending or thinking of having for my meals and see if I need to tweak portion sizes or components to make my numbers look better. If I end up eating something different, I can always go back and change it, but my goal is always not to. I try to leave myself 150-200 cals for an evening snack.

Are you set to lose 2 lbs per week? While that is an appropriate goal for you, maybe it would be easier if you dialed it back and worked your way up. Sometimes an easy win is more valuable. So consider (if you're not already) changing your settings to 1 lb per week, and just get the hang of prelogging and hitting your goal. After a few weeks when that becomes easy, bump it up to 1.5, then if you can 2. Just something to think about. Hang in there!
  • kabrina30
    kabrina30 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    At 245 you should be able to eat more calories than that and still lose. Better to lose more slowly than to stay so hungry that you end up quitting. And maybe think more simply. Not so much am I hitting my macros? And more what is it that I eat that makes me feel the fullest for the longest amount of time?
  • pgb3050
    pgb3050 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You’re human and are going to make mistakes and look back at bad choices but that’s ok! I think that the fact you recognize a problem (100-200 calories over usually)and are reaching out for answers to fix it is fantastic! So give yourself some credit - it’s deserved! The easy thing would be to make excuses, quit, etc BUT YOU ARENT SO BE PROUD AND DETERMINED TO TAKE THIS JOURNEY anyway you can; weekly, daily, sometimes hourly but YOU CAN DO THIS! ! I can’t guide you on how to eat or what will work for you - only you can do that! I’m where you are @245 and today the only thing I’ve thought about is food food food so before it gets outta control I’m planning on increasing my protein and water today and see if that helps.i may be successful today or not, but it doesn’t matter - I will be successful! That will never change, just the time frame 😁
  • KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what I am doing either, dont feel bad. I think I am making good choices, aka, choosing quinoa instead of white rice or pasta sidekicks, but end up with a hugeee chunk of calories gone from what seems like such a small portion. I always end up over to. We will get this figured out soon! :)