Can’t stop over eating when I’m ovulating

Options
I eat over maintenance every time I’m ovulating the cravings are unbearable. I’m never like this any other time. Please help

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    How much over maintenance? For how many days? What are your maintenance calories, height, weight, goal weight, age?

I'd shoot for getting a close to maintenance calories for those 2-3 days as possible. Unless you are really blowing past maintenance calories, it won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things.
  • bitchgetit
    bitchgetit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Same
  • bitchgetit
    bitchgetit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take antidepressants for my pmdd and concerta for control over the cravings
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    if you indulge your sweet craving does that help the extra eating? sometimes ignoring a crzing leads to over eating as we try to remain "healthier". So indulge in a moderate portion of what you really want that fits into maintenance cals.

alternatively maybe look into volume eating those days. LOTS of foods that are low in calorie density.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday I went waaaay over. Which I normally don’t do. I believe my maintenance calories are around 2100.
    I think I’m not eating enough protein during the day which is causing me to eat even more.
    It’s so weird because as soon as I’m done ovulating I legit have a hard time even eating 1200 calories.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you are just going a little over maintenance for a couple of days, it's really not a big deal. You can try to save 100 cals here and there so it all evens out over the week, or just accept that this one week a month, you will be at not as much of a deficit as you'd like and it will slow your progress down a teeny bit.

Do you try to force yourself NOT to eat what you're craving and then say screw it and eat too much? I found that once I gave myself permission to eat my maintenance calories, including the more calorie dense treats I was craving, and actually PLANNED to do that, it was easier to not overdo it. Sometimes it's your will power breaking that causes you to go overboard. Not sure that applies to you, but it helped me :drinker:
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This might be a helpful thread to read:https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10673925/buttomless-pit-days/p1
    And there are many others discussing hormonal hunger and how to deal with it. Personally I find indulging in one high-calorie meal when I start feeling ravenous helps stave off the rest of the cravings, although your mileage may vary. You can also work it into your monthly calorie budget by shaving off a few calories each day to "bank" for those few days when you're ovulating. Best of luck.