What’s my body type/shape? I’m having some trouble

Options
bitchgetit
bitchgetit Posts: 9 Member
I’ve always struggled with narrowing down my exact body type because I don’t trust my own eyes, so I thought of giving this a try.

Replies

• bitchgetit
    Options
    Shape , I guess. I could of worded that better
  • bitchgetit
    Options
    The whole apple , pear, etc etc concept
  • bitchgetit
    Options
    Lol, I’m actually curious about what my body shape would be classified as.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    bitchgetit wrote: »
    GoodLardy wrote: »
    Maybe I need more coffee, because I still don't understand what you are asking. What's your shape? Again, female human would be my answer.

Ooh! I’ve had eight cups of coffee, so I’ve got this! Your shape is:

Normal!

Thanks! And I agree!

The apple, pear, blah, blah, whatever - Who cares? What does figuring it out do for you?

I mean, you might not care, but I do happen to care. I think that it matters. You can dress better by simply knowing your body type , ya know. You can actually do a lot with knowing your body type. I’m sorry if my question triggered some sort of feminist bs reaction or body positive natured person, but I’m genuinely curious because I am.

Ok. I can see your point. I think knowing your body can help you dress better, I get that. As an athletically shaped female, I don't seem to fit any of the apple, pear, whatevers. You don't look to me like you do either. I have to try things on. Sleeves are always too tight. Pants have to have some Lycra to fit my quads, etc.
  • bitchgetit
    Options
    Maybe I need more coffee, because I still don't understand what you are asking. What's your shape? Again, female human would be my answer.

Normal!

Thanks! And I agree!

The apple, pear, blah, blah, whatever - Who cares? What does figuring it out do for you?

I mean, you might not care, but I do happen to care. I think that it matters. You can dress better by simply knowing your body type , ya know. You can actually do a lot with knowing your body type. I’m sorry if my question triggered some sort of feminist bs reaction or body positive natured person, but I’m genuinely curious because I am.

Ok. I can see your point. I think knowing your body can help you dress better, I get that. As an athletically shaped female, I don't seem to fit any of the apple, pear, whatevers. You don't look to me like you do either. I have to try things on. Sleeves are always too tight. Pants have to have some Lycra to fit my quads, etc.

Thank you , that’s exactly the struggle I’m having as well. ❤️❤️
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    You might consider taking a look at this: https://www.whowhatwear.com/how-to-find-body-shape-calculator
  • GoodLardy
    GoodLardy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Because you have no odd lumps or bumps, I’d still say you have a normal shape. No resemblance to any fruit, vegetable, motor vehicle, or zoo animal. This is a good thing, and it means you can look good wearing whatever you want. I’m very jealous of the normal shape. :)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Normal!

Thanks! And I agree!

A weird thing that helped me? Stitch Fix. They send things I'd normally never pick out. I'm actually wearing a shirt today that I would have never picked up off the rack, and it fits amazing and is super flattering.

I told them I am a powerlifter, so no short sleeves with those bands around the bottom, Lycra in any pants, etc, and they listen.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    If you include measurements that might help. Try on some different styles and see what makes you feel your best. Take photos (in the clothes). That is what I always do.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I dress well by trying on different outfits, looking in the mirror and figuring out whether I like what it does for me. Whether you call me a watermelon or a banana, I'm still not going to look good in a tight rib-knit sweater. Not sure what the label does.

The only time, to my mind, that there's any relevance has to do more with waist-to-hip ratio, which is one of the possible indicators of risk for cardio-vascular disease https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1373709/. For the rest? Why pigeonhole? I still try on rib-knit sweaters, btw. Just on the off-chance that they'll start to look good as my weight (and, more to the point, boob size!) decrease.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Normal!

Thanks! And I agree!

A weird thing that helped me? Stitch Fix. They send things I'd normally never pick out. I'm actually wearing a shirt today that I would have never picked up off the rack, and it fits amazing and is super flattering.

I told them I am a powerlifter, so no short sleeves with those bands around the bottom, Lycra in any pants, etc, and they listen.

nice! i tried stitchfix a few times and after 5 different stylists gave up - because it was like they didn't listen - i asked for no skinny leg jeans because of my calves (2 sets of them in consecutive months); no bohemian type tops because they make me look like a blob (yes, that is the technical term) - got that in at least 3 boxes - it was disappointing because i'd heard great things about their service
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    {{{{{{{{{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I totally and completely understand what and why you're asking. This link will help you figure out what body shape you are!

qe8yvcv5i09na2bvqzui.jpeg?w=695&h=391&crop=1

https://www.sheknows.com/beauty-and-style/articles/1109215/body-shape-chart/
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    {{{{{{{{{{{{ <3 HUGS <3 }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I totally and completely understand what and why you're asking. This link will help you figure out what body shape you are!

the thing with this is if you are like me you arent a complete "shape" you fall into 2 categories lol. Im odd shaped and have to try on everything I wear.some pants gap at the waist and are tighter elsewhere. and if they fit everywhere else,I cant button them. tops I usually wear a small-med but sometimes a medium is made too small and wont fit my shoulders or the sleeves are too long(or too short).The struggle is real for some of us.or if a pair of jeans fit pretty good they are saggy in the butt and legs,but if I were to go a smaller size they wouldnt fit.

I also take my daughter with me and ask her opinion as she is brutally honest(like me) and tells me if something is flattering or not.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

the thing with this is if you are like me you arent a complete "shape" you fall into 2 categories lol. Im odd shaped and have to try on everything I wear.some pants gap at the waist and are tighter elsewhere. and if they fit everywhere else,I cant button them. tops I usually wear a small-med but sometimes a medium is made too small and wont fit my shoulders or the sleeves are too long(or too short).The struggle is real for some of us.or if a pair of jeans fit pretty good they are saggy in the butt and legs,but if I were to go a smaller size they wouldnt fit.

I also take my daughter with me and ask her opinion as she is brutally honest(like me) and tells me if something is flattering or not.

I can totally 100% relate to this...not being just one of these body types or being a combo of these shapes. I LOVE that you bring your daughter with you to help you choose clothes and that she LOVES you enough to tell you the truth, brutal or not--that's fabulous. This link may help OP to do more research of HER interest. When I was younger (before children) I had what people called my shape 6:00, straight up and down. (UGH), being stick skinny the majority of my life (before children) was almost a yuck as being fat. I would literally eat like a horse or eat like two or three people at one time couldn't gain weight to save my life. I went to doctor after doctor to try to get help to gain weight and they all said the same thing, my metabolism was so high, I could eat a 2000 cal meal and burn it off in an hour. :# and Back then, being ultra slim/super skinny was so NOT in, like it is today and it was so HARD to find clothes too. I actually had a stranger in the public restroom tell me when I was younger (YEARS ago and I remember it like it was yesterday) how lucky I am to not have any hips, breasts, butt and a figure like a little boy and that one could never be too rich or too thin. >:) I was used to people "teasing" me about being stick skinny, but I walked out of that restroom feeling horrible--but would tell myself I've got a figure like a model :wink: . I'm actually an "apple" shape (heavier in my mid-section, with slimmer thighs and flat-ish butt, slim hips and waist almost the same size as my hips and/but with mega fabulous legs and a drop dead gorgeous face--YAY). Because I'm an older woman, with a lot of children, my body isn't as "boyish" as when I was young, I now have a lil something something, but still am an apple shape. Since dropping the weight, I so LOVE my body and so does my husband--BOOM and Thank God!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Based on the photos, go with rectangle or athletic when picking clothing and such - either of those look like they would apply to you.