Anybody had to totally give up deadlifts and squats?

Options
Hi. This is essentially what my doc told me today given issues with my lower back and hip (herniated disc, pinched nerve, hip impingement). When he saw the crushed look on my face, he reinforced through animated pics what the movements were doing to my back and hip, and it then made sense to him why I haven’t gotten rid of my pain. I was crushed since I’ve been working with a personal trainer, losing inches, and getting so much stronger. I then asked if they were still bad if my form was correct. I could tell he wanted me to stop but just said continue to exercise but either go lighter or find something else to do. Anyone have any experience or thoughts? I finally was in my zone and excited to reach my goals by end of year. I’m a relative newbie to lifting but almost everything I’ve read put so much value on deadlifts and squats. Is doc being too strict?

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have a pinched nerve in my arm and had to give up any barbell movements and and other exercise that involved my arm. It is absolutely devastating.

I don't think they are being to strict. If your lifting and still having pain there is a problem there. I would hold off on workouts, can you see a PT?
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    ^ She's right. If you don't like what you are being told, go get a second opinion.
    If that one is the same, I assume there will still be other forms of exercise you can do. You just have to find one.
    Good luck!
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    @Fflpnari Thank you. I’ve seen a p/t in the doc’s own practice. He told me he doesn’t ever tell folks not to do something unless it’s clearly exacerbating an issue. The doc was more definitive to those two specific movements. Because I never felt pain at all in the moment doing deadlifts and squats, i told him I was fine with those. The doc explained sometimes I won’t feel it in the moment, it’s afterwards when I’d feel the pain. How long did you have to stop using anything that involved your arm? That’s tough!!
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What causes you pain or makes it worse? Is your pain worse on days you workout?

Its been over a year now since I hurt it. Originally my healthcare team didn't know it was pinched. I kept lifting just much less than normal and it never got any better. They did nerve testing and found the problem. Now I am waiting to see ortho about having surgery.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    :D:D@collectingblues Nothing on me better be close to being a pancake, except my belly!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Of course it's hard to give up a favorite exercise. But you don't have to give up your goals. You can still get stronger and lose inches. Perhaps ask for referral to physical therapist who can give you exercises that are safe for your condition and allow you to meet your goals if your trainer can't do this.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    ^ I agree. This will get woo'd out of the park. But sorry doctors are mostly drug dealing quacks pushing pain pills and most of them have zero knowledge of the real pros and cons of weight lifting and exercise. Some things you can try to help your lower back pain, and hip pain that have helped me fight thru the aches. Hang from a pull up bar let your spine decompress, then do some leg raises if you can. Mostly just let your weight do the work. Light core work - keep your lower back tight to the floor slightly raise you chest and do some leg lifts or circles, spell your name forward and backward with your feet, while keeping the small of the back tight to the floor. Seriously! Hip bridges a lot of different varieties to try to open your hips. Lastly do vinyasa yoga flows with some warrior and triangle pose to get your hips moving. But also take videos of your weight lifting and compare to or ask pro's online.

PS your doing good by coming here and asking and not just taking no for answer. A lot of people simply just look for an excuse to not do it. If you are making progress, but its causing you pain. It could be form, it could be that you routine is over loading too much in one direction or another. Keep asking questions and provide more details about your routine you'll get better answers.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @Chieflrg Thank you. The doc had an animated detailed pic of a spine with discs, nerves, etc and was able to show what my body is doing as I am doing a deadlift or a squat. The pressure as I go down and forward he showed would be pressing on the nerve. Just strange I thought that I don’t feel that in the moment - otherwise I’d stop.

I’ve been working with the PT for about 7 weeks now, so I’ve gone from bodyweight to about 65 lbs back squat.

And 40 in the beginning to about 105 lbs deadlift. 3-4 sets. The first is usually a warm up set. 10-12 reps. Sometimes in a exercise like a deadlift the first set is 95, then 100, then 105.

I’m 5’3 and 54. About 135 trying to get to 125, just FYI.
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Please go visit BarbellMedicine.com and read Austin Baracki on pain... before you decide to give up these awesome barbell movements.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @awnurmarc Thanks! Will check it out. While researching I came across this:
    https://cstrainingsystems.com/stop-deadlifting-stop-squatting/
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »
    @Chieflrg Thank you. The doc had an animated detailed pic of a spine with discs, nerves, etc and was able to show what my body is doing as I am doing a deadlift or a squat. The pressure as I go down and forward he showed would be pressing on the nerve. Just strange I thought that I don’t feel that in the moment - otherwise I’d stop.

I’ve been working with the PT for about 7 weeks now, so I’ve gone from bodyweight to about 65 lbs back squat.

And 40 in the beginning to about 105 lbs deadlift. 3-4 sets. The first is usually a warm up set. 10-12 reps. Sometimes in a exercise like a deadlift the first set is 95, then 100, then 105.

Did the doctor diagnose something wrong with your spine that is different from the average spine that causes a problem with a normal human movement? It would be interesting to see how his model moves the spine when deadlifting or squatting vs. the rest of the population.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    CeeBeeSlim wrote: »

I see. Seems very odd for a doctor to tell you to stop doing movements we do every day in the gym or every day life. That might create more of a problem long term. Just odd, though maybe there is some missing info here. Doctor telling you to lower the weight might be appropriate, though how much lower? Perhaps less frequent or less volume of either reps or sets would be more appropriate instead with the info we have here. There are several components to different types of load management he isn't addressing. Once again he has more information and knowledge of you.

Is this pain you had before or just started recently?
    Are you experiencing pain during or sometime after training or both?
    Has the PT changed your stance or your range if motion at any time in reference to the pain or otherwise?
    How frequent are you deadlifting and squatting?

In the seven weeks of training, how did you progress to 3-4 sets of 10-12 from body weight to loaded dosage. The more detailed with estimated reps left in the tank with weight on barbell in the past seven weeks would be more helpful.

Also I second Barbellmedicine. Baraki, Feigenbaum, and the doctors they added recently who specialize with pain have helped me personally with the info they put out. You might even swim I to the forum there and ask for help with detailed info.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I'd also get more opinions... and I want to be sure about whether it was the lifting (the actual movement) that was causing the problems or the inflammation/tightness that often sets in after training.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    That's a bummer but I'm sure there are other exercises you do that you will like as well. I agree with asking for a referral to a physical therapist.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    Options
    @Chieflrg Thank you. Hmm. I’ll try to answer. Doc didn’t give me details on how to reduce training. He first said that I should take time off. When that was met with “sad face”, he said to stop the deadlifting and squats. Then just generally said I didn’t need to go “all out”, but I think he was responding to me being disappointed he was telling me to stop my fav movements.

I had the pain for about 1.5 years. Started as the usual, hmmm - I must’ve worked too hard - I’ll soak, foam roll, yoga, stretch more, pills, massage etc, until I realized I wasn’t getting very far and saw a doc.

If I recall correctly, my trainer will usually add more weight (maybe 5-10 lbs) each time we have a session (2x week). We dont deadlift each time and the squats vary - some with trx, goblet, barbell back. Sometimes he’ll keep that weight for the three sets of about 10 reps. Sometimes within the session, he’ll increase the weight 5-10lbs after each set. By the time I’m finished the set, I’m spent - hard maybe to finish the last one or two. And I never ever feel pain with any squat or deadlift - not even a twinge. And my trainer is aware of my hip, back issues and great to tell me when my form is off - even with shoulders, breathing, etc.

As I was writing this, i realized one movement that could be a cause?? Anyone has issues with kettlebell swings? There’s this one move where my trainer has me swing the bell across my body, bring (with like a torque) the bell up to my shoulder and then press it up (like a clean and press). Doesn’t hurt in the movement, but maybe it’s the twisting?
  • awnurmarc
    awnurmarc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Your doctor does not know what he's talking about. I don't necessarily mean his diagnosis. I mean his advice. He doesn't know which movement are causing you problems (assuming that's the case) or what the risk really is. Notice how his advice changed. He really meant "be careful out there" but didn't think that sounded like professional enough. You may indeed cause yourself injury in the gym and you may do it by sneezing. The only thing we can be sure of is that stronger people are harder to injure. So staying weak is problematic too.

I'm just a guy who lifts and who has been inducted to the barbell cult, so take this for what is is (or isn't) worth: I would get rid of weight bearing conditioning work before slower heavy lifting. So if you want to eliminate something, I'd dump kettlebells before deadlifts. Another thing you might do is settle on one form of squat so you have one movement pattern to perfect and see how your hips handle it.

But again, please visit BarbellMedicine.com and search the site. They've helped people (with free advice) in a similar situation.