Girls!! want to do IIFYM, need advice

Options
I am wanting to try out IIFYM as the results I've seen of it are incredible! I really want to gain lean muscle mass, and lose body fat and this seems like a great choice to make. However, I've been eating pretty close to my maintenance calories of only about 1,500-2,000/day. I know that with IIFYM it can be a bit of an adjustment with increasing calories. I'm also guilty of being a "clean" eater for the past year, only have junk food with cheat meals, or if I have a slip-up. I work out 5-6 days a week, mostly lifting and a little HIIT. Have any girls out there had any experience with IIFYM, any advice, feedback would be awesome! :happy:

Replies

• cassandraallegre
    Options
    IIFYM is an acronym for "if it fits your macros". It is not about calories necessarily. It's about tracking your macronutrients - protein, carbs, and fat. You can adjust your goal percentages in the settings section. It is VERY effective if you have your macros set appropriately.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    IIFYM is an acronym for "if it fits your macros". It is not about calories necessarily. It's about tracking your macronutrients - protein, carbs, and fat. You can adjust your goal percentages in the settings section. It is VERY effective if you have your macros set appropriately.

This.

Most people get the wrong idea about IIFYM by going to the website with the same name. They also get the awful idea that you can eat a bunch of "junk" food while skimping on the healthy stuff while doing IIFYM.

Set your calorie goal to a moderate deficit and set your macros to healthy levels. You will see that you are eating most of your calories from healthy, nutritious choices while still able to fit in something tasty like ice cream.

IIFYM is basically just a theory for nutrition that doesn't demonize any foods or cut anything out from your diet while still eating a majority of highly nutritious foods. It's the most sensible way of eating there is, if you aren't allergic to or sensitive any foods.
  • katiehrgovic
    katiehrgovic Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I try right now to keep my macros at about 40/30/30, and that seems to be providing me with adequate fuel for my workouts. The only issue I'm worried about really, is getting past the mental block of eating more calories. I know its essential to eat more to gain muscle, but, as with many girls I'm sure, its a bit of an adjustment. I'd just like to know the results will be worth it beforehand ha. I'm planning on getting a coach to help me start this process and am really looking forward to building more quality muscle.