Getting enough daily protein

Options
So I've always struggled to get enough protein on a day to day basis, although recently I've been adding skyr yogurt into my diet that has been really helping. However, when I run out I often find it difficult to reach my minimum target of 70g/day, especially if I'm on a meat free day (I try to go meat free once a week)

My question is this, day to day does it matter if I'm too low if I make up for it the next day? So for example today I'm under, but yesterday I was over. It averages out as about right for both days. Is that fine, or should I be chugging milk on days that I'm under (or consider protein shakes).

Note: Days when I'm under are normally non workout days as I do eat back most of my workout calories so I get protein without much trouble.

Replies

• mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Low protein may make you feel hungrier and therefore more likely to accidentally eat the wrong things (or too much of something). Can you eat eggs on a meat free day?
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I will consider protein shakes for those days, even daily, this way you can "assure" a good protein intake and look for rest of your target during the day.
    For breakefast I always have a protein shake with whey and greek yogurt (and some other stuff) and gets me a solid 35gr of protein to star my daily counting.
  • _aenyeweddien_
    _aenyeweddien_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    how about beans, tofu, eggs, nuts, cottage cheese?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you're getting 200g one day and 50g the next, then its not ideal, but if you're there or thereabouts and overall for the week you hit your target then i think you'll be fine.
  • aortegasep
    aortegasep Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I also struggle to hit my goal of 150gr a day, usually I get around 130gr, specially looking for balance with fats comming from meat and eggs. But different targets here.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If the problem happens when you run out of yogurt, why not just stock up on yogurt?
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad Thanks, I hope I'm overthinking it.
    @mazdauk Hunger's not normally an issue, I tend to find that if my calories are around the right levels, then my hungry is about fine. Eggs are okay.
    @aortegasep Hmm maybe I should, I normally bank a good 25g for breakfast when I'm on my normal cereal, but at the moment I'm eating porridge and that doesn't quite pack the same level of punch.
    @_aenyeweddien_ Love beans, should add them to my lunch salads more often (thanks for the reminder), I've over eaten eggs recently so have gone off them at the moment. Not a fan of tofu or cottage cheese, and I will happily blow my entire week's calories on nuts :sweat_smile: