Split between weights and aerobics for losing weight

Options
2»

Replies

• missmince
    missmince Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    If you are truly sedentary, some cardio work might be advisable just to be healthy. If you could incorporate more brisk walking into your life, you might lean towards strength. Also, if you enjoy one much more than the other, and are just returning to exercise, do whatever motivates you to continue. And I've read that 75 minutes minutes of vigorous exercise per week or longer periods (150 minutes?) of moderate exercise a week are recommended by the Department of Health of Human Services. They also recommend lifting; I forget the details, but they're easily found online. Can you work out at home at all? If you're truly sedentary, try buying some weights and/or exercise videos.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    nickb2124 wrote: »
    Very interesting feedback, thanks! I would think that for weight loss, the balance should be more cardio than weights, but seems that everyone is suggesting weights first, and fill the remaining time with cardio. Why is that?

You said in your OP that you would like to build a small amount of muscle. Weights is the best way to do that. Losing weight usually means losing some muscle and resistance training will prevent that. No point losing it and then building it back.

I find it useful sometimes to actually do the math. I get about 2,300 calories per day to start with. An hour of lifting might burn 200 or 300 calories. An hour on a bike will burn about 500. The difference is a drop in the bucket, really. If you can only do one, the extra calories from cardio aren't enough to outweigh your other goal of having more muscle instead of less.