Using a C2 (Concept2) Rower on Zwift

Options
I'm not exactly a technical guy, but this article REALLY caught my eye when recently cross posted to a C2 forum. Basically, in very dummied down terms that I understand, you can use an app called Painsled, which uses an I-Phone to translate your Watts on the C2 Rower into an app, then act as a bridge of sorts and create it where you can participate (if you have a Mac or Apple TV) in Zwift (a very popular interactive road race game for bikers).

I've long been considering activating/buying RowPro, which is a decent rowing computer game that Concept2 rowers can row against each other interactively, but the issue is, I never know to the minute when I'm going to row and there are limited "races" on RowPro daily, so likely I'd never use it.

With Zwift, you can join a "road race" anytime and just hook up and you're interactive with different scenery, road courses to choose from. Didn't know this was even a thing.

Painsled seems to be working out the bugs but a very interesting option for Concept2 owners.

If you had an I-Phone and an I-Pad or Apple computer already, you do it. My understanding is you need both an IPhone or IPad (to run Painsled) and also another Apple device to run Zwift, though there maybe converters to a PC I'm now aware of. I believe you need a PM5 too (the most recent rowing computer on the rower with updated firmware).

https://zwiftinsider.com/rowing-on-zwift/

I'm considering converting my basement into a Zwift adaptive rowing studio now. Just need the Apple TV (around $150) and I'm all set.

I know there's at least a few bikers on here that also own C2s. Thought this might be of interest to some others. This came out early in 2018 and I hadn't heard of it till recently.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,202 Member
    Options
    I can see how that could be fun/motivating, and I'm glad you shared the info.

I have to admit, I'm not very enticed to do it, but it's more of a personality factor than anything else.

As an on-water rower by preference, virtual surroundings aren't that appealing, and I've learned over time that watching TV/video while rowing distracts me from the technical focus I want for machine rowing (this is just me, I think - I can listen to things, but watching things makes me sloppy). Winter, for me, is a time to focus on grooving certain basic stroke mechanics into muscle memory without the distraction of bladework, balance, steering, . . . and scenery. ;)

I'm also disinclined to virtual competition as a regular thing, as it tends to make me over-prioritize speed/intensity and not get the workout mix that's my best bet fitness-wise and technique-wise. I enjoy some of the C2 challenges, but don't even do the most highly structured of those, for similar reasons. I don't even use the pace-boat monitor thingie.

Still, I think this could be a great set-up for the mostly-machine rower, or someone with different sensory-input circuitry, who's not pulled off course by competitive urges.

I'll be interested to hear about your experiences as you go further with this - there are so many machine-only rowers nowadays, and others may find this motivating/useful to enjoy rowing more. Just focusing on technique and grinding out meters can get old, for sure.

Thanks for sharing!