How many calories are really in my bacon

Options
So I eat two slices of bacon for 180 calories..
I cook mine in the oven and on a rack so the fat drips off.
I heard that the calories are including all the fat but I’m not eating that so I’m confused 🤷‍♀️

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Specifically what type of bacon? Strips like is common in the US or back bacon which is more common elsewhere?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What does the package say? It should say either raw or cooked.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I’m talking about strips.
    I do eat back bacon as well cause it’s so low in calories but I prefer strips.
    I believe it says raw.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    I believe it says raw.

Weigh it raw. That's your calorie count.
  • MeganReid1991
    Options
    Or for example this one doesn’t say hjkere1xgorg.png
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    I believe it says raw.

Disagree. Raw bacon has a fair bit more calories than cooked bacon. This is the one time where the raw vs cooked does make a difference.

She said the package said raw. 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Here's a nice write up about bacon raw vs cooked by our beloved Cybertone

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10624867/calories-in-bacon-raw-vs-cooked
  • MeganReid1991
    Options
    Well looks like I’m going to buying me a food scale!!!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Well looks like I’m going to buying me a food scale!!!

I was without my scale for 2.5 days. It was rough. Hated using measuring cups again.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I believe it says raw.

Disagree. Raw bacon has a fair bit more calories than cooked bacon. This is the one time where the raw vs cooked does make a difference.

She said the package said raw. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If she were saving the fat and eating that, for example, cooking eggs in it, the raw calorie count would be the one to use.

But since she is blasphemously allowing the fat to drip off, raw is not the right entry to use.

If the raw count is the one on the package. And it's the only one, that's what she should use. As that's what the OP said.
    I believe it says raw.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Bacon is the only food I weigh once cooked. I just look up what type it is on nutrition data and log the cooked entry
  • MrWeather_81
    MrWeather_81 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Mmmm after reading this, I think I'm going to get up and have a crispy bacon sarnie and cup of tea. 8)
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Bacon can be delicious when gently fried with most of its fat not rendered out. Or, it can be marvelous on a sandwich brittle and without any fat left to render. And, all points between. Calories counting bacon is a mixture of art and science. And, these are not small differences since an oz of bacon fat has a lot of calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Dang. I'd cry if my little tiny bacon slices were 190 calories for two.

I have to admit - I have never weighed a bacon slice ever. Bacon is a treat food for me. Once every six months I'll buy a pound of bacon, and that's mostly because I use the rendered fat for cooking my eggs every morning.