6 weeks into weight training questions...

Options
I started weight training about 6 weeks ago. (I posted a question about it here. Basically I've lost like 25-30 pounds and plateaued). I've lost no weight, but my body looks and feels different. I'm definitely stronger and my weights are increasing. I'm doing a full body workout about 2-3 times a week I have a few questions for the learned:

1. I see some age and weight based standards for ORMs for various exercises. Should my goals be based on my current weight (about 25% body fat) or my ideal body weight. Just trying to have a target.

2. Initially I tried doing weights followed by some cardio for the first two weeks. The next few weeks I did weights only. From a weight loss standpoint since it's calories in and calories out since I'm burning the calories by lifting eventually I would lose weight right?

Replies

• 23rochelle23
    23rochelle23 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Do you one rep max based on current weight - the only thing that will happen if you can do it and lose weight is you might be stronger compared to your weight 🤷🏼‍♀️ I like this chart https://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards/female/kg for looking at where I want to be :-)

Lifting weights is a poor way to lose weight, as is any exercise really - purely in that it’s easier to limit food than it is to out exercise poor diet choices (poor being too many calories) . Weightlifting will however change your body shape noticeably at maintenance calories (more so than cardio in my opinion unless you’ve gone from couch potato to marathon runner).
    I find it difficult to do both weights and cardio on one day - I did weights followed by six a side football (so an hour of sprints and stops) this week and couldn’t get back to the gym for a few days due to my hip flexors killing me.
    If I was to do them on one day I’d look at doing morning and evening session or similar.