Meal delivery services

Options
Is there any good options with the meal delivery services? Do they have calories listed on the sites?

Replies

• Running2Fit
    Running2Fit Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I’ve done Blue Apron in the past and they did list the calories on each recipe they sent you. I can’t remember if they offered low calorie menu options (and it could be something they added since then as this was a few years ago) but their dinners averaged around 700 per serving.

I really liked Blue Apron and would keep doing it but it’s a bit pricey and it’s cheaper to just do my own shopping.

I also tried Hello Fresh. I can’t remember if they included calories or not. I just remember their meals not being as good and really bland.
  • angelarene626
    angelarene626 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure what area of the country you live in. But my favorite one has been Catered Fit. But I think it’s only offered in CA and FL. Anyways it’s a meal service and they have more meals plan options than most like Paleo, Vegetarian and Pescatarian. They also tell you the calories on the package of each meal.
  • BrendaBSki
    BrendaBSki Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We just gave Gobble a try because they had a discounted rate, and it was pretty good. They did list the calories for each recipe, and the meals were quick and tasty, but we aren't going to continue because the regular price is a bit much.
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I live too far out to get fresh food delivery but when I tried the frozen meal deceives options, my conclusion was that the service is too costly for everyday , and, possibly worse to me was the amount of plastic packaging trash that I had to deal with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I looked into meal delivery plans but wasn't excited about the recipes or the cost. Had I gotten farther into it, the packaging no doubt would have bothered me as well.

I do love getting grocery delivery from Whole Foods. The minimum order is now $35, and between meat and protein powder, I have no problem hitting that. And I often get a $5 coupon from No Rush Prime that I can use to pay for the tip, but if not, I still save the time driving to and from the store.

This sale week (ends Tuesday), 85% ground beef and chuck stew beef are on sale, and there is an extra discount on those for Prime members

I made some awesome beef bourguignon with the stew meat and https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/50233/black-pepper-beef-and-cabbage-stir-fry/ with a half pound of the ground beef.

The Whole Foods Prime Now inventory can be weird - I am positive they have cabbage in the store but was not able to order it online.

Ever since I got a grapefruit instead of an orange I put No Substitutions on everything (in the Cart) so if they send me the wrong thing it's easier to get a refund.
  • greyparks206
    greyparks206 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I love Hello Fresh and feel that it has been instrumental in my weight loss (just over 52 pounds in a little less than a year). Yes, there are calorie counts for the meals. I use the calorie counts to plan out my week. I live alone, so "three" meals will provide me 6 dinners, sometimes 7 (if any of the meals I choose are particularly high calorie in a given week, I'll split that meal into three portions instead of two). I've only had a few meals that I haven't been happy with. While it isn't cheap, I've found I'm actually saving money. It's REALLY hard to grocery shop and cook for just one person, and my default in the past was to just go out instead. Knowing I have meals waiting for me at home has helped me change my behavior patterns. It's not for everyone, for sure, but I've been a very, very satisfied customer. Sometimes the produce isn't quite up to the standard I prefer (largely because they insist on using organic suppliers), but I'm willing to make that compromise in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of the packaging is/can be recycled.