Peleton type bikes

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    The "spinning.com" bikes in my gym have toe clips on one side and SPD on the other. Peloton bikes have Look clips. I spoke to the Peloton salesperson who told me it would void the warranty to swap the pedals to SPD.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    The "spinning.com" bikes in my gym have toe clips on one side and SPD on the other. Peloton bikes have Look clips. I spoke to the Peloton salesperson who told me it would void the warranty to swap the pedals to SPD.

This is me doing some head tilting. As if changing pedals is a major operation.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    lol wut

It takes five minutes to change pedals. You should be able to use whichever ones you like. That's just bizarre.
  • cathyloufit
    cathyloufit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    There is a site called Studio Sweat on Demand that has wide range of online workout classes including spin. It is a lot cheaper. Also there are some reasonably priced spin type bikes on amazon. I bought the Sunny B1805 and added a Wahoo Cadence to it. There is a place to hold a tablet or phone in the handlebars. Or I just cast the workout to my TV and it works great. This combination works great and is much cheaper than a Peloton.
  • aokoye
    Options
    There is a site called Studio Sweat on Demand that has wide range of online workout classes including spin. It is a lot cheaper. Also there are some reasonably priced spin type bikes on amazon. I bought the Sunny B1805 and added a Wahoo Cadence to it. There is a place to hold a tablet or phone in the handlebars. Or I just cast the workout to my TV and it works great. This combination works great and is much cheaper than a Peloton.

An honest question here, because I've seen people mention it on Amazon as well. Why do you feel the need to measure cadence on your spin bike?
  • cathyloufit
    Options
    Many spin classes use increase or decrease in cadence as part of the class. Similar to sprint training in running. The classes I have taken here are flexible in using cadence and/or heart rate.
  • aokoye
    Options
    Many spin classes use increase or decrease in cadence as part of the class. Similar to sprint training in running. The classes I have taken here are flexible in using cadence and/or heart rate.

Ah I see - learn something new every day!
  • cathyloufit
    Options
    Yes. The spin classes use a combination of ever changing cadence, hr and resistance. Also you move between sitting and standing on the pedals while you are at it. It can definitely be a great workout!

• aokoye
    Options
    I don't doubt that it can be a great workout, cadence is just not something that I pay attention to when I train for cycling related things (not uncommon from what I can tell). I used to pay a lot of attention to HR, but my primary metric is power.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    I don't doubt that it can be a great workout, cadence is just not something that I pay attention to when I train for cycling related things (not uncommon from what I can tell). I used to pay a lot of attention to HR, but my primary metric is power.

I was doing the Swift Tour of London yesterday, and was conscious of this conversation.

What I found was I was watching my cadence as it related to power output, essentially accounting for my own capacity as I approached key points in the event.

More awareness than anything else, but it was helpful.
  • aokoye
    edited December 2018
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »

I was doing the Swift Tour of London yesterday, and was conscious of this conversation.

What I found was I was watching my cadence as it related to power output, essentially accounting for my own capacity as I approached key points in the event.

More awareness than anything else, but it was helpful.

The only time I've really found it - not helpful, but interesting, is on climbs. There's a lot of talk about maintaining X cadence on a climb. I didn't realize until I did a century last summer that what while the century that I did had an obscene amount of climbing, the hills were less steep but significantly longer than the ones near my house which made maintaining the cadence I always heard about actually possible for me.