I have two modes

I know that it’s a problem, the all or nothing mentality. My reason tells me that moderation is easier than extremes. But that doesn’t matter... I can’t do it! I can lose or I can gain... I can lose really well! I know how to do it and I’m good at it. I can gain phenomenally well. I’ve struggled with this forever, in everything. It’s my nature. I try moderation and my body says, okay, good, we’re done losing then?

I know there are a lot of people on here who have moderation down. I’m glad for you all. My husband is amazingly good at it, and I’ve picked his brain so many times to try to figure out how to make his system my own. But it’s his brain. Mine works differently. So I’m really more interested in hearing from anyone who has figured out how to harness the all or nothing tendency. Is there hope?

Replies

• trinati2001
    trinati2001 Posts: 262 Member
    My body is similar to yours. What I do is put boundaries in place. I was doing amazing before Halloween and I knew the day would be bad....but I couldn't get back on track for the rest of the month. Well I wouldn't let myself get back into the 200's. I just made my way out of them. So after Thanksgiving I was up 5.5 lbs and at 200.2. I hit my upper limit and now I'm back on track and losing.

Just make sure you limits aren't too far (you don't want to do too much damage before you start losing again).
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Have you written down what you cannot do in moderation? Yes I know, you know it in your head. But take pen to paper and write down what foods I cannot eat in moderation. Are you willing to give them up entirely? Are you willing to say I can only have them if we go out to eat?

Is it most foods, or is it your trigger foods?

I absolutely go insane for Chocolate cake in almost any form. And I cannot eat it in moderation. So I have not had any at all since I started in May 2018. I have had some other sweets yes. But not that, as I recognize I cannot settle so better to have none is the way I look at it.

Only you can decide what you can eat in moderation, and what items have to be on the maybe someday list but not in your near future.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    edited December 2018
    I have a friend like that. If she eats one forkful of pasta she says that she has done it and might as well eat 4 plates of pasta. I have never understood that. I guess that it is a mindset. All or nothing. Stop at 500 calories of something that you could easily binge 3,000 calories on. At least you have had a taste. Or never eat that food again. For me, it is better to not deprive myself, but just to allow myself a reasonable amount of something and stop at that.
    It sounds like you really do want to moderate what you are eating. I think that is the first step, wanting to change. Change never comes easy, but without change everything stays the same.
    We are all on the same journey here, making better choices for ourselves.
    Best of luck.
    Stay strong : - )
  • amy19355
    amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
    I know that it’s a problem, the all or nothing mentality. My reason tells me that moderation is easier than extremes. But that doesn’t matter... I can’t do it! I can lose or I can gain... I can lose really well! I know how to do it and I’m good at it. I can gain phenomenally well. I’ve struggled with this forever, in everything. It’s my nature. I try moderation and my body says, okay, good, we’re done losing then?

I know there are a lot of people on here who have moderation down. I’m glad for you all. My husband is amazingly good at it, and I’ve picked his brain so many times to try to figure out how to make his system my own. But it’s his brain. Mine works differently. So I’m really more interested in hearing from anyone who has figured out how to harness the all or nothing tendency. Is there hope?

I think I am an all-or-nothing kind of person. The fewer choices I face, the easier to stay focused on the goal. In other words, I try to make it easy for me to always have what I want when I want it and the way I want it.

So far, on the food side of fitness, what is working for me is meal prep.

I get the satisfaction from ALL the advance meals waiting in the freezer for my desire.

Ditto from the ability to indulge my desires for ALL I prefer to eat, ALL the time, (if I so choose).

Ditto in the nutritional knowledge that supports the daily ‘doing’ of my Way Of Eating.

Exercise wise, I use the Fitbit and a daily 10K step goal. Walking is accessible to me nearly ALL the time. At home, I do body weight exercise in front of the tv where ALL the floor is available to me.

Maybe my approach has some nuggets of ideas for you!

Good luck.
  • donjtomasco
    donjtomasco Posts: 789 Member
    emilysusana - ditto. I am all in or not at all. If I can't stay on a program I go the other way. Same with working out. If I can't get on a stead 3-4x per week program, I just don't do it. I am glad I read your post since last night I decided it was time to lose the weight again. I have a predictable 20-25# range and it would actually take some effort to exceed my high weight that I always rebound to when I get in the dreaded rut. I can lose the 20 then max out. I can talk myself a great game and listen to others, but I am all in or all out and always trying to find a way to moderate this extreme but it is more my personality and how I live too. It is what it is.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    You're certainly not alone.

I have a whole long list of foods that I cannot moderate. I know if I buy them - one package is one serving. I've tried for over ten years to "learn" to moderate. I'm much better off not starting on them at all, and I don't bring them home. I can't drink alcohol either. Same lesson there. Some people can drink moderately.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    For me it's alcohol.I can't have 1 drink,I'll try my very best to finish the bottle.So,I ELIMINATED it,EVERY week that I gained weight was a week when I drank too much!

.Now,I can binge on chips and sweets,-for those things I just don't bring them into my house and 90% of the time I won't get dressed to go get chips. If I crave cake I'll make a single serving mug cake or I'll get a single slice from the bakery and share it with DH or my kid.Controlling my environment worked best for me.I only bake whole cakes/pies for the holidays,and I encourage people to take the leftovers home,if they don't I'll bring them to work to share.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I can be a bit this way as well - in most areas of my life to be honest. For me, I can't abstain, but moderation tends to fail over time as well - so I've found my own variation of IF (if you must give it a fancy name) works best. In order to appreciably lose I still need to track my food/intake and stay in my range, but even without that, I will have a steady, albeit extraordinary slow, downward trend - but things stay trending in the right direction at least.

I had to look at my lifestyle, natural eating patterns, trained eating patterns (like I HATE throwing food away - it feels like the ultimate waste), and what has or has not worked in the past, and realized this was the best bet. It also feels sustainable for the long term. I allow myself flexibility, because that's what my life demands of it - but basically I have a couple smaller "snacks" (coffee+creamer and a ~200 cal snack) and one bigger meal a day.

Definitely not something that would work for everyone, but it works really well for me. I let my big meal flex a bit if there's a lunch out with coworkers, or on days I'm especially extra active or hungry, I'll allow another small snack-meal in there. None of what I do is true fasting persay, but that's the closest buzz term for what I've landed on.

Take some time to figure out what works for YOU. Consider all aspects of your life and your own eating tendencies. Try a few things, but modify it to fit what you need and what works for you. Just because certain eating plans or ways are touted by this or that group, doesn't mean you have to adhere to exactly what they say, either.
  • FitAndLean_5738
    FitAndLean_5738 Posts: 90 Member
    That's actually very common. For me, the time of day and the type of food switches whether or not I am a moderator or an abstainer.

After 6pm, no sweets whatsoever. If I eat sweets after 6, I'll go overboard. In fact, I only eat sweets immediately after my lunch. That's the only time I'm able to actually eat a moderate amount.

So if you can't eat a food in moderation, ask yourself if you'd be willing to cut out the food forever. If you are, go for it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    That's actually very common. For me, the time of day and the type of food switches whether or not I am a moderator or an abstainer.

After 6pm, no sweets whatsoever. If I eat sweets after 6, I'll go overboard. In fact, I only eat sweets immediately after my lunch. That's the only time I'm able to actually eat a moderate amount.

So if you can't eat a food in moderation, ask yourself if you'd be willing to cut out the food forever. If you are, go for it!

Lol, I'm the opposite - I cannot moderate sweets after lunch but I can after dinner.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,546 Member
    jennk5309 wrote: »
    I have traditionally had the same problem, but am hoping I've finally figured it out.....my tendency had been to give in and eat whatever I wanted once I knew I wasn't going to make my calorie goal for the day. I failed so might as well have cheesecake too, right? I would stop tracking and figure I'd start again tomorrow. What I'm doing now though is.that I keep tracking every bite even when over my calorie goal. Eventually it pains my psyche to see the numbers and I stop eating. I may be over my goal for the day but I still am usually at a deficit, which means weight loss even if it's not at the speed I would prefer.

One day at a time in a deficit means progress if not perfection.

I agree. Track it no matter what.
  • jean133mjg
    jean133mjg Posts: 133 Member
    I use whatever hasn't worked as new information to change to a new detail in my plan.I try not to think of myself as a failure, that I have to be all in or all off a diet. I'm not a failure just because something isn't working for me. Adjustments to my plan are good to help me reach my goal. Hope this makes sense. I wish you the best. Just keep working at it. Don't expect yourself to be perfect just persistent.