TREADMILL VS ELLIPTICAL WHICH IS BETTER?

Options
When I use treadmill , i get exhausted and burn a fair amount of calories
BUT
When I use elliptical, i don't get exhausted but the machine tells me that I burn more calories than treadmill. I feel the machine is lying about the calories I burned.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT?

Replies

• KisforKriss
    Options
    elliptical kicks my butt... maybe you're just used to the elliptical and not the tredmill.
  • imralpharvin25
    Options
    but I feel like I didn't burn any calories...
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Those darn lying machines!!!:grumble:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    but I feel like I didn't burn any calories...

Just living burns calories! :laugh:
  • dianeb613
    dianeb613 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When I use treadmill , i get exhausted and burn a fair amount of calories
    BUT
    When I use elliptical, i don't get exhausted but the machine tells me that I burn more calories than treadmill. I feel the machine is lying about the calories I burned.

WHICH ONE SHOULD I USE TO LOSE MORE WEIGHT?

I find the elipitical much harder to do than the treadmill so I believe it does burn more calories
  • imralpharvin25
    Options
    I know. I mean I didn't even sweat. I used it for 45 minutes.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Have you tried upping the resistance or changing the cross ramp? If you're at the standard setting, I can see how you'd barely sweat.
  • JesseDP00
    JesseDP00 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical almost every day - 35-40 minutes and without a doubt I've had exceptional results. I do believe the calorie count is inflated, though that said, keep using one consistently and you'll see and feel the difference.
  • AlastairKB
    Options
    Don't rely on what the machine calculates. I've measured using a Body Bugg and found that the Elliptical can be 25 % off.
    Also, it depends on how the Elliptical is calibrated. There are 2 algorithms that are used, one based on walking , the other on running. I read somewhere that one brand is changing from running to walking.
    I guess it also depends on what levels you set each of the machines...
    Hope this helps
  • JesseDP00
    Options
    I know. I mean I didn't even sweat. I used it for 45 minutes.

The you are not putting it a high enough level - I'm soaking wet when I finish my routine. Push harder!
  • sarahbennett6
    sarahbennett6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i crank the resistance up on the elliptical. also I try to keep the RPMs at at least 150 or above. Only way I sweat on it is by doing that. Its low-impact compared to the treadmill so I def prefer it better. Also check your pulse. If its in a good range than you are good to go. Mine is usually 130-150 on the elliptical. My resting is usually 60-70.
  • sarahbennett6
    sarahbennett6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yeah i agree i think the calorie count is off. Also it has to be set to your specific height & weight to really be close anyway. My elliptical app says Im burning more calories than the machine says.
  • JesseDP00
    Options
    yeah i agree i think the calorie count is off. Also it has to be set to your specific height & weight to really be close anyway. My elliptical app says Im burning more calories than the machine says.

Definitely notice this as well. To OP, bottom line is you have to bring it when you show up - leave it all there. I finished a five mile hike this morning and every piece of clothing was dripping-I moved as fast as I could from start to finish. If you are not even sweating after 45-minutes, either your cardio is exceptional or you are not exerting yourself enough.
  • krees78
    krees78 Posts: 10
    Options
    My heart rate is much higher on the elliptical than the treadmill. Elliptical - 160 bpm and tradmill - 130bpm.

But the elliptical is much lower impact - so it may not feel you are working as hard.

And yes, calorie counts on the machines are off - even if you put in your age, weight etc. I find my heart rate monitor a much better way for me to calculate exercise calories.

And I sweat much more on the elliptical!
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I burn the most calories per time on the elliptical, and it's also easier on my knees.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Face it, the machines lie. A heart rate monitor might give you a slightly more accurate burn, but it lies too.

Do either of the machines measure your heart rate? As the others have said, do you put in your height and weight?

If your perceived effort on the treadmill is greater, it is probably greater...
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is the one for me! I use the heart rate monitor installed and set my weight into it and switch the resistance to high.
    I burn roughly around 400-500 calories in one hour (hopefully that somewhat accurate.) It's easier on my knees too, not to mention, that fear of falling off the treadmill- even if I'm just walking at 4mph lol I'd stick to the elliptical. :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    With either machine, it depends how you set it up. If you have low resistance on the elliptical, you won't burn much, once you've got used to the exercise - it'll be no better or worse than having a comfy walk.

Which do you like more? Do that. Set the machine to give you a significant workout.

Also, just be aware that the burns listed on machines are notoriously inaccurate. It can't 'know' how hard you've worked without at least some biometrics (e.g. heart rate). If you're not cracking a sweat, chances are you're working *not very hard*.