Can't seem to stay motivated

Options
devhutch10
devhutch10 Posts: 13 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hello all! I'm hoping I can vibe on some inspiration from you guys. I'm 18 and going off to college and my first summer without sports has led be off my path to fitness. What do you all do to stay motivated? I've been trying to slim down and tone up FOREVER and I can't seem to do it! Any takers? (: It would be awesome to hear some of your thoughts

Replies

• SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from wanting something enough to continue following a reasonable plan day after day after day. And not being so restrictive that you are likely to give up.
  • devhutch10
    Options
    That's an awesome way to put it! Thank you for your words :D
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Exactly. My motivation is very strong. Its a combination of willpower and something inside me just clicking. I will not so until I am at my goal weight and then who knows if I want more. ive been overweight my entire life but something just clicked inside me. that's how ive been doing it. I'm going on three weeks and I am down 16lbs.
  • mlnick69
    mlnick69 Posts: 84
    Options
    Some people find posting phrases, quotes, pics, etc on mirrors, fridges and other often visited items. Daily reminders of a sort.
  • npruitt99
    npruitt99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I had to learn that in order to stay motivated, I had to workout for me and stop looking to others for approval. I do it because I want to be healthy and happy in my skin. Too many times I would "fall off the wagon" whenever people would say things like, "Girl, you don't need to lose weight!" or "Oh, take the day off, it won't hurt". They may be thinking they were being helpful, but it was horribly destructive to my motivation. This is why you have to remember that feeling of accomplishment you feel after working out and can look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day proudly =-0)' Good luck!
  • kregerems
    kregerems Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I'm hoping I can vibe on some inspiration from you guys. I'm 18 and going off to college and my first summer without sports has led be off my path to fitness. What do you all do to stay motivated? I've been trying to slim down and tone up FOREVER and I can't seem to do it! Any takers? (: It would be awesome to hear some of your thoughts

If your looking help, and want some motivation add me, and I'll try to be helpful.
  • jojo86xdd
    jojo86xdd Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Don't think, don't "try", just DO. Everyday, no excuses.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes from wanting something enough to continue following a reasonable plan day after day after day. And not being so restrictive that you are likely to give up.

I agree with this 100%. I saw a quote a few months ago that kicked my butt into gear:

"If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse."

I discovered I'd been making excuses for my weight all of my life and I was tired of it. Being at a healthy weight became important enough to me to exercise and eat the appropriate amount of calories every day.
  • lsanders47
    Options
    Every pound I lose, I pay myself $1. Every $$$ I earn, I will donate it to our church to share it with a less fortunate family in the Philippines this Christmas. I just started Aug. 1, I have lost 3 lbs, I just paid myself $3. Just thinking about making someone happy this Christmas is enough motivation for me to stick with "living healthy" thinking.
  • bmskid
    bmskid Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The only person who can motivate you is YOU. You'll either do it or you won't. You can be inspired by others, but they can't give you the drive you need. You need to find whatever drives you and expose yourself to that as much as possible (for me, it's exercise...if I give that up, my healthy eating inevitably follows, so I make sure I reach my exercise goals each week, no matter what). :) "Motivation" is meal-by-meal, day-by-day...you have to make one good choice, then another, then another. When you make a bad choice, follow it with a good choice, not another bad one. Little by little, the whole thing will become a habit and then there will be no turning back. :)
  • brendapalmer146
    brendapalmer146 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I found I was like you, do it for a while, give up. Remain overweight and very unhappy. What clicked this time? I just said "Im going to keep going" I started seeing results, and just kept going. I did encounter things that would in the past make me want to give up but said "nope Im going to keep going" Im still not at my goal and it's taking longer than usual but Im going to keep going. I just look at how much better I feel, how happy I am, how much more energy I have and it keeps me going. Being able to finally put on clothes this summer that I had wanted to be wearing for the last 4 years and not covering myself up, having energy to do stuff with my kids and not feeling depressed and losing my mind all the time.... What I've discovered you have to want this more than anything and make a few sacrifices. After awhile it becomes habit. I've been doing this for almost 5 months and this is the longest (this time around) I have managed to do this. So I hope this helps...:)
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    You do have to figure out what motivates you. But when you get to school you could always join an intermural team or two. Take a fitness class for a grade, use the gym as a place to go for a study break, find friends who are also into fitness, your options at school are limitless.

Good luck!
  • devhutch10
    Options
    You go!! That's awesome (:
  • devhutch10
    Options
    I had to learn that in order to stay motivated, I had to workout for me and stop looking to others for approval. I do it because I want to be healthy and happy in my skin. Too many times I would "fall off the wagon" whenever people would say things like, "Girl, you don't need to lose weight!" or "Oh, take the day off, it won't hurt". They may be thinking they were being helpful, but it was horribly destructive to my motivation. This is why you have to remember that feeling of accomplishment you feel after working out and can look yourself in the mirror at the end of the day proudly =-0)' Good luck!

Oh my gosh I know that always happens to me. People say stuff like that and it keeps me from working as hard.. Good thing you learned to ignore it!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I just do it. Don't think, don't "try", just DO. Everyday, no excuses.

This is how I'm doing it. I just am. I feel like a toddler who is walking the first time - they are doing it - but if they look down and realize it they'll fall. I can't say I have any big motivation, I just keep doing what I decided to do.
  • devhutch10
    Options
    The only person who can motivate you is YOU. You'll either do it or you won't. You can be inspired by others, but they can't give you the drive you need. You need to find whatever drives you and expose yourself to that as much as possible (for me, it's exercise...if I give that up, my healthy eating inevitably follows, so I make sure I reach my exercise goals each week, no matter what). :) "Motivation" is meal-by-meal, day-by-day...you have to make one good choice, then another, then another. When you make a bad choice, follow it with a good choice, not another bad one. Little by little, the whole thing will become a habit and then there will be no turning back. :)

I like that, that's all very good!!
  • missyahall2
    missyahall2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels says in all her DVDs that if you have a "why" you can tolerate any "how". If you have a reason for wanting to stay/get healthy and fit you can tolerate whatever you need to get there. Every time I want to shut off a DVD or have a milkshake, I repeat that that to myself and I keep going.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    My mind is more motivated than my body. I wish I could jump, squat, lift, and run all day but my body is dead in an hour.
  • Angiehankins77
    Options
    I have decided to just slow everything down, eat more, no more starving, keep calories under 2000 and lose about 1/2 to 1 # per week...it's working for me ???? feel free to add me if you need a friend and motivator
    I'm 36, female, 5'6", CW 201.5, SW 236# march
This discussion has been closed.