Silly reality weight loss shows

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Would people watch a weight loss reality show where participants were told to watch their calorie intake, eat a balanced diet of normal foods, exercise a bit more and lose 2 lbs a week?

Weight loss reality shows use fads and have people do extreme things because that will get people to watch their show even if it is to be outraged. Did you really tune in thinking you would see healthy normal weight loss?

Especially American television! There's a stark difference between Kitchen Nightmares UK and Kitchen Nightmares US (The Gordon Ramsey show). I'm a pretty sensitive and slow moving person, so I prefer the UK, but many others would find it dull.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Would people watch a weight loss reality show where participants were told to watch their calorie intake, eat a balanced diet of normal foods, exercise a bit more and lose 2 lbs a week?

Weight loss reality shows use fads and have people do extreme things because that will get people to watch their show even if it is to be outraged. Did you really tune in thinking you would see healthy normal weight loss?

Especially American television! There's a stark difference between Kitchen Nightmares UK and Kitchen Nightmares US (The Gordon Ramsey show). I'm a pretty sensitive and slow moving person, so I prefer the UK, but many others would find it dull.

The Brits even have a few weightloss shows that are about reasonable weightloss. The drama is usually just the contrast between old habits and new, an the difficulty of changing habits. IE, actual reality. Fat Families has the presenter eating what they eat for a day, then have them move to a reasonable plan, including learning to cook. Supersize vs Super skinny has two people with opposing poor habits switch diets for a couple of days, then eat an appropriate diet for their needs afterwards.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    Danp wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    Butter in coffee is a very keto thing...personally gag

I know but why make an overweight person think that that's the best way to lose? It's not. And yes its gross

What makes you think that this isn't a good way for that person to lose weight? Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit not demonising foods.

Bulletproof Coffee, as it's called, may be an excellent choice for someone who finds fats filling and satisfying.

Why butter, though? If you're satiated by fat, why not just regular cream?

It's a fad.

Where did I say it had to be butter?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I know but why make an overweight person think that that's the best way to lose? It's not. And yes its gross

What makes you think that this isn't a good way for that person to lose weight? Weight loss comes from a caloric deficit not demonising foods.

Bulletproof Coffee, as it's called, may be an excellent choice for someone who finds fats filling and satisfying.

If someone decides on their own that they love Bulletproof coffee and WANTS to use those calories for it, sure, whatever, just like someone can enjoy 200 cal of ice cream daily after dinner or the like.

It's pretending like it's some addition that makes the diet healthier or is necessary for the diet to work that is so absurd. Most obese people don't need to work to add more calories (or more fat) to the diet.

People go on about how BP coffee is SO filling -- for many it would not be. Beyond that, it's the same calories as plenty of far more nutrient-dense choices. I'd rather have black coffee and have those calories for later or, in the alternative, have a nutrient-dense breakfast (such as an omelet with lots of vegetables -- still pretty high fat and lower carb, but adds protein and fiber and nutrients, unlike a bunch of butter and/or coconut oil in coffee, blech).

But like I said, it's a taste preference, if you like the butter coffee as an indulgence I see nothing wrong with it, but the idea that it is something that it's important to add for dieting or for health is just mind-boggling, and it sounds like what the person on the show was pushing.

Again, I'm not advocating BP coffee. I'm simply disputing the statement

"why make an overweight person think that that's the best way to lose? It's not."

For someone who does enjoy it and finds it filling this statement is false.

But that's the same as pretty much every other food (within the context of a sensible diet, etc.).

Which I would agree with, but is clearly not the position the person on the show is taking nor that advocates of BP coffee take (and I understand you aren't such an advocate).
  • jbitakis
    jbitakis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Butter in coffee is tasty. I did Keto for 2 months and calorie count for 2 months. I lost more on the cal. count. Although, a higher fat and protein amount in your diet does make you feel fuller and less hungry throughout the day. But I still need the carbs for energy.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I don't do butter in coffee because I like black coffee. I do add a tbl. spoon of MCT oil and it is tasteless and odorless. To the OP regarding weight loss shows. I don't know if this can be backed up with fact but I read that there will likely never be a reunion show of the biggest loser winners because they are all fat again. If this is true it doesn't paint a pretty picture for weight loss success. Does anybody know if there any truth to this? I am curious.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    I don't do butter in coffee because I like black coffee. I do add a tbl. spoon of MCT oil and it is tasteless and odorless. To the OP regarding weight loss shows. I don't know if this can be backed up with fact but I read that there will likely never be a reunion show of the biggest loser winners because they are all fat again. If this is true it doesn't paint a pretty picture for weight loss success. Does anybody know if there any truth to this? I am curious.

They are not all fat again, but it seems that the ones who stayed slimmest made a career out of fitness and/or motivational speaking, so their focus is different from their colleagues.

• FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    Options

Why butter, though? If you're satiated by fat, why not just regular cream?

It's a fad.

If you like cream in your coffee, how sure are you that you wouldn’t also like it frothed with butter?
  • patrickaa5
    patrickaa5 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

They are not all fat again, but it seems that the ones who stayed slimmest made a career out of fitness and/or motivational speaking, so their focus is different from their colleagues.

From what I've read, most Biggest Losers have gained back weight and some have gained back all of the weight. What they went through to lose the weight is not sustainable for the vast majority of people. Starving yourself and exercising 6-8 hours every single day will result in dramatic weight loss. No way to keep that up though.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I think this can be said of any method of weight loss. It's a sad fact that most people (in the general population, probably less so in these forums) gain back most or all of the weight lost within a couple of years. In my opinion, this is directly related to lack of support for weight maintenance. There are so many intervention programs (many paid for by insurance) to help with weight loss, but once at a healthy weight (or struggling to stay there even if one has never been overweight) people are on their own.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    jbitakis wrote: »
    Butter in coffee is tasty. I did Keto for 2 months and calorie count for 2 months. I lost more on the cal. count. Although, a higher fat and protein amount in your diet does make you feel fuller and less hungry throughout the day. But I still need the carbs for energy.

It took me til month three to get around the lack of energy for workouts on keto. All of a sudden my running energy came back.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    LiLee2018 wrote: »

Lol are you joking... I'm a major advocate for not demonizing foods. If anything thats why I cant stand the whole keto trend because all it does is demonize carbs and make people think that they need to live a miserable carb and sugar free life to achieve weight loss success. Most overweight people aren't even aware that weight loss is about a calorie deficit so they need to be taught this by their nutritionists ... not given revolting coffee with butter which trust me, nobody actually enjoys. Do you think an overweight person is actually going to enjoy coffee with butter in it as opposed to a piece of toast with avo.. or anything more filling and tasty? Weigt losa needs to be something that can be sustained long term and for the majority of people I highly doubt wasting 300 or so calories on butter coffee is a way of life

Woah woah woah.. slow your roll there Judgey McJudgerson. You are doing a lot of assuming there and it's not pretty.
    I totally understand not demonizing food, but don't rag on a diet b/c you don't like it. I'm keto and not "miserable" b/c I can't have carbs and sugar. And it's very sustainable FOR ME. Just b/c YOU don't think it is doesn't mean it can't be.
    I would never be able to go vegan, but I'm not going to sit here and claim that it's not sustainable or that they must be miserable without meat.
    I also don't do butter in coffee b/c it sounds gross.. TO ME, but to say that everyone that drinks it that way definitely doesn't enjoy it too? Really? Good grief. Get off that high horse of yours.
    And way to assume most overweight people are idiots too... even though we've all been told most of our lives to eat less, portion control, count calories, etc. But yeah.. keep thinking you're right and everyone else is stupid.

Right, I wouldn't want to do either keto or vegan myself but recognize these are successful WOE for many people.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I am not attempting the keto thing. I do have a tub of Rapid Fire instant keto coffee, which is 100 calories of mostly fat from a 15 gram serving. I never, ever, volunteered to put butter in my coffee, but this stuff tastes ok and feels ok. I was surprised.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Statistics show that over 80% of people that lose weight gain all (some gain even more) back within 5 years, no matter how the weight is lost. Not a pretty picture for anyone. Sustainability for keeping the weight off takes dedication to adhering to eating no more calories than your body burns. No guarantees for anyone, no matter how they achieved their goal weight.
  • Eternally_Hers
    Eternally_Hers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I know two people who have done Keto and boy is there a lot of bro science regarding that diet. The first time on Keto they found this youtuber by the name of Stephanie Keto Person. She recommended having 200g of fat daily for 6 months to a year to get a person fat adapted but you had to gain fat for the first 6 months of the diet at least and I'm thinking this is the worst idea possible. They started putting butter in drinks, putting oil in drinks and everything. Well one of them got really sick and after arguing for for a bit they went to a Dr and the Dr pretty much had to say that your body doesn't agree with what you're doing and to cut back on what you're doing. Well then one of them continued being sick very often, electrolyte drinks 3 times a day didn't help so she just ended up switching to Paleo which she is doing absolutely amazing on.

The second person is still doing Keto, she really liked her whey protein drink which consists of avocados, almond milk, whey protein and butter warmed up. Well she had her blood checked recently and her bad cholesterol was twice as high as her good cholesterol. I know that butter is still in the diet, but it's still not healthy to go around drinking it. There is studies starting to suggest that low carbohydrate diets replacing it with unhealthy fats (like butter) and protein(bacon) is leading to a decrease in life expectancy. In the same study they suggest switching out meat protein for plant protein and fats makes a person's life expectancy go up though.

That said I'm still a meat eater so I'm not a vegetarian who is biased. The key for me has just been learning to eat in moderation. I've also noticed that grains and processed foods don't fill me up so I avoid those like the plague. Through experimenting with what does and doesnt work, I pretty much ended up on Paleo. Lol
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm 43 female, 5"6' and weigh 300lbs.

Graduated HS at 180, gained a bit in college then at 25 dropped to 150 by eating super healthy and being very active. Did triathlons, lifted weights, ran, did tons of recreational super duper active things. Maintained loss for 7-8 years and slowly began gaining as healthy habits slipped. Really piled the weight on when essentially taking a 3 year cross country RV trip and totally stopped any real exercise and ate whatever I wanted. Drank lots too.

Surprise, surprise!!! It never ends, maintenance is definitely harder. But we all can do it...im back at it and know I'll be successful again.