High satiety foods

Options
What are your favorite high satiety foods/recipes for foods that keep you feeling full but aren't calorie dense ? :)

Replies

• manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Tinned tuna, eggs, cheese and any kind of meat. They will fill me up.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I might be a odd one but potatoes really tend to keep me full for a long time.
    Oatmeal for sure.
    Also meat tends to really keep me full but I’m kind of picky when it comes to meat so I have a hard time eating enough of it.
    I am trying to get better at making sure my macros are on track and that I’m eating enough protein. That really tends to keep me feeling full!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kelsium33 wrote: »
    What are your favorite high satiety foods/recipes for foods that keep you feeling full but aren't calorie dense ? :)

fat and protein for me, which can't help being calorie dense
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This really is an individual thing.

I personally need a combination of mainly protein with fiber (veggies or fruit), some fat, and some starch for lasting satiety. Take away one of those elements and I don't stay satiated for very long.

But this is me. Other people need just protein and fat. Other people need protein and fiber. Other people need lots of volume with veggies and just a tough of protein.

Experiment with yourself. Your food diary can be a useful tool if you keep notes for yourself in it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me it's usually protein and fibre. Chicken breast, certain types of whole grain bread, whey protein, coffee. But for me it's not always a matter of protein or volume... for some reason eggs don't really fill me up very long, even whole eggs with lots of egg whites and vegetables.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    For me... fiber and protein. Meat. Beans. Hummus. Steel cut oats. Greek yogurt. Eggs.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    As others have said, it's somewhat personal and needs experimentation, but foods with protein and fiber tend to be the mostly commonly high satiety foods. Some find it important to have a mix of macros. In satiety index tests plain potatoes score as high satiety -- but that's plain, add fat and not so much, probably because they start creeping into highly palatable territory.

For me, a low cal and highly satiating meal would be low fat meal plus lots of vegetables for bulk. Because I need some deliciousness to feel satisfied, I'd make it a bit higher cal by cooking with oil or choosing a little less low fat meal, depending (fat helps with absorption of nutrients and you need some anyway).

Steak and lots of veg, salmon or trout plus lots of veg, roasted chicken breast (with skin) plus lots of veg.

I usually do include some kind of starch (like potato, sweet potato, rice or maybe make everything into a pasta meal) or else some fruit (which for me is an alternative for the starch in some meals). But if I were low on calories and just looking for hunger relief, I'd have some lower fat source of protein and fill up my plate with vegetables.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Right now, I am totally addicted to the Skinnytaste Loaded Baked Sweet Potato recipe. I've had it for dinner almost every night for several weeks now. I'm not traditionally a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but the Mexican spices in this dish make everything balance so nicely. It's only around 300 calories and it makes an entire meal all by itself that leaves me feeling full and satisfied for hours. I cook once, then eat for four nights just warming things up in the microwave.

https://www.skinnytaste.com/loaded-baked-sweet-potato/
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    For years I've been eating for breakfast a smallish baked potato with over easy eggs and salsa. Sometimes I add chicken, cottage cheese or sour cream. But this meal keeps me full for many hours.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Been eating a lot of these guacamole tacos home made 100 percent organic, about 420 calories in picture.

Ingredients: organic avocado, organic yellow onion, organic Roma tomato, squeeze of organic lime and served on organic corn tortillas.

Very filling.

47qo1blqnmoq.jpeg

• shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I eat large amounts of cooked cabbage with lean protein and healthy fats. Change it up a bit to make flavors different.

Head of Cabbage chopped, simmered w onions, garlic, 28 ox can crushed tomatoes, mint, red pepper flakes, evoo, s&p. Served w beef patty it reminds me of stuffed cabbage.

Or-

Bag of coleslaw mix, sauteed with onion, garlic and bit of chicken stock. Protein and maybe half an avocado.

Or

Bag of slaw mix, onions, garlic, soy sauce and sriacha (sp?) Served with my version of Asian-y ground beef (garlic chili paste, soy, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder, chx stock) topped w cilantro and peanut butter on the side. Yummmm!

Easy, inexpensive and very satisfying. Bag of coleslaw I'm referring to is a 16 oz bag of shredded cabbage with some carrot and sometimes purple cabbage.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Generally foods I like but don't love. Liking them takes the edge off of wanting to eat, but not loving them means I don't want 4lbs of it. Quest bars, Halo top ice cream, most beef jerky are all good examples.