Food and diet

Options
Has anyone noticed how their body reacts to differernt foods??
Since starting MFP i choose healthier versions of foods i ate before. Brown bread, brown pasta, rice etc etc.
I knew before MFP my body would react to white bread and rice. Making me feel bloated, very full. Put it down to processed food. (Not its nautral state)

I had some white bolied rice the other day and what it made me feel like was awful. My kidneys felt they were hurting, bloated,hard belly, the next day it still layed heavy on my stomach and gave me a horrible stomach ache.

I know i wont be eating white bread and def not white rice

My thoughts are has anyone else noticed differneces since starting MFP??

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Natural state (to the extent that's even a thing, as farming isn't natural):

99obqds0jhiy.jpeg

Good point. Even just-harvested and unprocessed grains aren't the natural state for grains, in the sense that we're farming them and we've created domesticated forms that vary from the original.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I've never had this experience with any types of food. I've heard people make these types of claims, but I've never been able to understand the why (assuming no allergies or other health issues at play).

The brain can be a powerful digestive organ for many.

I ate pizza from a certain place regularly and then found out (right after eating some) that their sauce had parmesan cheese in it. I don't (knowingly) eat cheese. Guess who had a terrible stomachache that night, despite the fact that I'd eaten it many times before without an issue? Even knowing it was a mental thing didn't stop the pain. It felt like rocks in my stomach for hours, all because I learned that I ate something that I didn't want to eat.

My son especially is prone to stomach distress after eating anything he decides after the fact he didn't like all that much.

We went through long stretches of vegetables "not agreeing" with him. :D

lol
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Since starting MFP i choose healthier versions of foods i ate before. Brown bread, brown pasta, rice etc etc.
    I knew before MFP my body would react to white bread and rice. Making me feel bloated, very full. Put it down to processed food. (Not its nautral state)

I had some white bolied rice the other day and what it made me feel like was awful. My kidneys felt they were hurting, bloated,hard belly, the next day it still layed heavy on my stomach and gave me a horrible stomach ache.

There's very little difference between white and brown rice and pasta, a gram or two of fiber or protein really. I switch between white and brown rice all the time, never notice a difference.

I also don't understand why more "processed" rice would still be in your stomach the next day. Doesn't being overly processed make it easier to digest, as opposed to the less processed version with more fiber and protein to work through? Don't most people who avoid "processed" food do so because it doesn't fill them up so they get hungry and want more?

Anyway, no I haven't noticed this kind of difference. If you find a lot of foods give you such dramatic symptoms, you might want to consult a doctor.

This. The rice cereal made for babies is the most processed rice product you can imagine. Yet that is a common 'first food' for babies (at least when mine were infants - I may be showing my age here) becaude it is easier on their digestive system that way.

In Asia, white rice is boiled to the consistency of oatmeal; called "Kayu" or "Okayu". Used in hospitals to get patients back onto a solid diet as gently as possible. Also used as baby food and generally made when someone in the house is sick.

That said, I love the stuff and can easily overeat my day's calories just adding salt and pepper to it and gobbling it up. Pickled veggies and seaweed are more traditional toppings.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    pinuplove wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

There's very little difference between white and brown rice and pasta, a gram or two of fiber or protein really. I switch between white and brown rice all the time, never notice a difference.

I also don't understand why more "processed" rice would still be in your stomach the next day. Doesn't being overly processed make it easier to digest, as opposed to the less processed version with more fiber and protein to work through? Don't most people who avoid "processed" food do so because it doesn't fill them up so they get hungry and want more?

Anyway, no I haven't noticed this kind of difference. If you find a lot of foods give you such dramatic symptoms, you might want to consult a doctor.

This. The rice cereal made for babies is the most processed rice product you can imagine. Yet that is a common 'first food' for babies (at least when mine were infants - I may be showing my age here) becaude it is easier on their digestive system that way.

In Asia, white rice is boiled to the consistency of oatmeal; called "Kayu" or "Okayu". Used in hospitals to get patients back onto a solid diet as gently as possible. Also used as baby food and generally made when someone in the house is sick.

That said, I love the stuff and can easily overeat my day's calories just adding salt and pepper to it and gobbling it up. Pickled veggies and seaweed are more traditional toppings.

I love that stuff.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

There is almost no difference between brown rice/white rice, brown pasta/white pasta, etc. If anything the slightly higher fiber count in the brown stuff would be more likely to cause distress. Also, an bread, pasta, etc whether brown or white is processed...none of it is in it's natural state.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,195 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I've never had this experience with any types of food. I've heard people make these types of claims, but I've never been able to understand the why (assuming no allergies or other health issues at play).

The brain can be a powerful digestive organ for many.

I ate pizza from a certain place regularly and then found out (right after eating some) that their sauce had parmesan cheese in it. I don't (knowingly) eat cheese. Guess who had a terrible stomachache that night, despite the fact that I'd eaten it many times before without an issue? Even knowing it was a mental thing didn't stop the pain. It felt like rocks in my stomach for hours, all because I learned that I ate something that I didn't want to eat.

No kidding. Some chemo patients even get something called "anticipatory nausea" before an upcoming treatment. I did, between chemo round #1 and #2, even before ever hearing that that was a thing. I Took Steps, and it didn't recur on subsequent rounds. Brains are amazing, not always in a good way, but they're somewhat trainable. IMO, sometimes people even accidentally train them in the wrong direction (usually through cognitive perseveration on a negative, put more simply endless fretting about trivia).

Not saying this is what's going on with OP. I have no idea what's going on with OP. I eat mostly so called "whole foods", but don't notice anything when I eat "highly processed foods" except that doing so usually confirms that I don't enjoy them as much. But that's just me.