Any cyclists in here?

Options
2»

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    Why did someone check the "Woo" for every single post in this thread?

I've noticed lately that somebody will woo every post that says calories not carbs control weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    joeaustin wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    You seem to be going all over the place with your diet and making something complicated out of something simple.

Alternating very low carb days are an awful idea if you are serious about cycling performance, IF is fine most of the time but may not fit into your training schedule if you are doing long rides (remember you can gain, maintain or lose weight on IF) - your weight loss results depend on your calorie balance not when you eat or messing about with carb cycling.

You need to reduce your calories, the problem isn't carbs or eating patterns or your body "getting used" to something - you just need to reduce your calories in a sustainable way.
    If you are stuck start by reviewing your food logging accuracy. If you make your diary public people can help you.

I’m on 2400odd kcals a day and then I ride on top which is usually about 600kcals plus. I’ll make it public briefly and then you can take a look

First step is to log your food every day - you will never know if 2400 + exercise calories is suitable goal to lose weight otherwise. My guess is it might prove to be on the high side.
    Second step is to recheck your exercise calorie burns - some of the general aerobics entries look extraordinarily high (close to a rate of 900/hr). |If you have access to a bike with a power meter you will be able to get a good idea of what kind of rate of burn is possible or likely for you.
    What would be your average power output for an hour at cruising pace and also maximum speed for an hour?

Really before looking for complicated solutions you need to start tracking your calories properly as that's the key to weight loss - not types of food, not timing of food etc. etc.
  • joeaustin
    joeaustin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You seem to be going all over the place with your diet and making something complicated out of something simple.

Alternating very low carb days are an awful idea if you are serious about cycling performance, IF is fine most of the time but may not fit into your training schedule if you are doing long rides (remember you can gain, maintain or lose weight on IF) - your weight loss results depend on your calorie balance not when you eat or messing about with carb cycling.

You need to reduce your calories, the problem isn't carbs or eating patterns or your body "getting used" to something - you just need to reduce your calories in a sustainable way.
    If you are stuck start by reviewing your food logging accuracy. If you make your diary public people can help you.

I’m on 2400odd kcals a day and then I ride on top which is usually about 600kcals plus. I’ll make it public briefly and then you can take a look

First step is to log your food every day - you will never know if 2400 + exercise calories is suitable goal to lose weight otherwise. My guess is it might prove to be on the high side.
    Second step is to recheck your exercise calorie burns - some of the general aerobics entries look extraordinarily high (close to a rate of 900/hr). |If you have access to a bike with a power meter you will be able to get a good idea of what kind of rate of burn is possible or likely for you.
    What would be your average power output for an hour at cruising pace and also maximum speed for an hour?

Really before looking for complicated solutions you need to start tracking your calories properly as that's the key to weight loss - not types of food, not timing of food etc. etc.

All my training at the minute is very high intensity so the 900kcal an hour is probably right. I’m busting a nut trying to give it all I’ve got. On Sunday I climbed up the equivalent of Alpe Du Huez which was 4005ft of climbing. I have a power meter, it’s where I get all my stats from, also I do all my training on Zwift. Are you on it? I do track everyday normally, I missed a few days this week because I just couldn’t be arsed as I eat the same type of foods every day so I knew what my intake roughly was. Cruising pace and maximum speed, I don’t know. But my FTP is currently 266w and I have a W/kg of 3.0 now

You think 2400 kcal is high? I though a typical Male was to consume 3000-3500
  • jlklem
    jlklem Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, this thread took off. I am on Strava and Zwift. I used the name Angry Minnow. I wanted to weigh 130 so I used Keto to get there. I was 138 and now 130. Now that I am at goal weight and body fat I eat normally. Basically I replace what I burn. On my low, easy days of training I eat far less carbs as I get real hungry from to many carbs. So I am basically Keto for a day or two a week, but not in the true sense of a Keto diet. Carbs spike blood sugar for me which makes me more hungry. But I make sure I eat a ton of carb as I prepare normal training days and my Zwift racing, I do not like intervals so racing is how I do my intensity.

I train a ton as I my goals are pretty extreme as well as my events. My 20 minute threshold power is around 290-300 at 59 kilos so I am above average strength wise but I am always looking for more watts. I am as about as light as I can maintain comfortably.

And once again listen to sijomial he is spot on with his recommendations. In fact I don’t post very often because I would basically just repeat what he says.
  • sijomial
    Options

All my training at the minute is very high intensity so the 900kcal an hour is probably right. I’m busting a nut trying to give it all I’ve got. On Sunday I climbed up the equivalent of Alpe Du Huez which was 4005ft of climbing. I have a power meter, it’s where I get all my stats from, also I do all my training on Zwift. Are you on it? I do track everyday normally, I missed a few days this week because I just couldn’t be arsed as I eat the same type of foods every day so I knew what my intake roughly was. Cruising pace and maximum speed, I don’t know. But my FTP is currently 266w and I have a W/kg of 3.0 now

So not general aerobics then - that makes more sense! :)
    There are a few "stationary bike" categories in the database but wise to use your own calorie numbers.

No I don't use Zwift, I use a Wattbike. Working on improving my W/kg to get it up from my current 2.97 (we should ride together!).
    Oddly the Wattbike although it has accurate power meters uses a daft calorie algorithm which exaggerates badly so I have to correct it.

If you are confident your food intake is consistent and you want to lose weight then you need to eat a bit less (doesn't have to be an everyday deficit though).
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Yes! You can get really scientific on this subject. My staple is 1 cup rolled oats and a banana 1 hour pre ride. 1 nana or clif bar every 60-90 minutes. This depends efforts or climbs of course. Water with a bit of salt in bottle.Usually 1.5 litres for 50km depending on heat and perspiration . CARBS
  • neugebauer52
    neugebauer52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    A bicycle is on my wish list once I am down to 120 kg, 264 pounds. Half way there - maybe Easter 2019?
  • sijomial
    Options

Sorry missed this bit.

The mythical "typical male" calorie intake is often stated as 2500 but that would include their exercise. Not that a hard training cyclist and their exercise volume is typical though.

As a 5'9 average sized old fart who is pretty active I'm maintaining on over 3000 because of my cycling and other exercise. As cycling boosts my allowance by an average of about 500cals / day I would indeed be around the "typical" 2500.
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    10,000 miles a year here
    Diet coffee and cake
    At CAT 3 level and 51 years old I don't need to think of diet
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    A bicycle is on my wish list once I am down to 120 kg, 264 pounds. Half way there - maybe Easter 2019?

My advice, @neugebauer52, based on my experience - don't wait.

I retired end of 2017, and got a new bike for Christmas 2017. Started 2018 about 150kg, have lost 30-35lbs (fluctuating with holiday eating) this year. Combined dietary modifications (mostly portion control and lowered glycemic index/glycemic load) and (mainly) riding. My written New Year's 2018 Resolutions included 25lbs lost and 750 miles on the bike. I frankly didn't know if I *could* ride at the start of the year; 1-2miles at a time were a big effort. Now, I will crack 900 by end of year, had a hope of 1000+ before the cold set in. Besides the weight, and maybe just as important, my physical well-being is much higher at the end of this year than at the beginning: cardio, endurance, movement, everything. I have some lbs. of measured muscle mass increase as well that isn't reflected in the net weight loss. I also did recumbent cycling in the gym in the Spring, swimming in the Summer and have begun walking/hiking in the local parks this Autumn.

Next year, I will repeat things that worked this year, and START my goals with 1000+ miles and 30lbs. And do mid-year adjustments as warranted - presumably higher, I hope! (n.b., I'm riding a trail bike [Trek X-Caliber9], not a road bike, about 50/50 road/off-road and 80/20 paved/unpaved to cover these miles).
  • aero223
    aero223 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all -

new here but with specific cycling-related goals and found this thread in search. I am a female Cat3 amateur racer.

Two seasons ago I went to collegiate nationals, but since then I've gotten a demanding job and have gained an extra 10lbs that didn't come off even with lots of racing last year. What with work and all I train 8-10 hours a week, self coached with HRM/power. I made this account to get serious about returning to race weight while preserving power and not getting sick. I am already 95% there... but the last bit is what's hardest.

Anyways, pleased to meetya! My diary is open to friends if anyone is in a similar boat or wants to help me out. I'll be around until I get back to competition weight.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

That will be a great reward!