Stopped Whey protein, dropped 1.5KG in 2 days, what happened!!!!

Options
Hi, Been struggling with weight loss for the past two month, the scale just stood at 86KG after losing 2 kilos in one month, I could feel myself getting more muscular however my belly circum stopped getting smaller, I was always bloated and constipated, I was doing everything like I used to do before, going to the gym , lifting plus cardio and staying at a calorie deficit every single day, however I was not losing weight, could it be that I am gaining muscles and losing fat? if so then why my cloth don't fit better?? looking back at what changed this time, I realized that I was gulping at least 3 scoops of whey protein everyday (Isopure Zero Carb), humm....I realized sometime ago that when I took bcaa I wasn't losing any weight, my weight just stood still so I quit taking bcaa's, wondering if the whey I was taking had anything to do with the weight freeze I have, I stopped the whey and boom, lost 1.5KG in 2 days literally, I am down one size and the constipation is gone, my heart rate went up over 60 bpm, when I was on Whey I was resting BPM at 56, even when moving I would be around the 61 62, now resting is at 65bpm.

If anyone has an idea to explain to me what happened because it seems that everybody else is losing weight on whey.

Is it the Whey? I never had problems with dairy before, should I switch to another type of whey? the type I am taking is lactose free

Once I stopped the whey my gym performance dropped dramatically.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Too much of a protein powder isn't necessarily a good thing.

What is the rest of your diet like? Are you eating protein foods? Vegetables and fruit? Fats?

Eat a well balanced plan and log your calories. Stay within your goal calories. The powder is fine, just get real food, too. You need fiber and fat to combat that constipation problem (fruit/vegetable/grain/legume/nuts.)
  • tarekhamouda7445
    tarekhamouda7445 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am gluten intolerance so have an issue with food absorption in general, that's why powder protein is a good solution for me.

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,962 Member
    Options
    Well then work within your limitations to still get fiber and fat. If you have to, get a dietician involved. Constipation can be managed.

Protein powder is a protein substitute, you don't have a problem with seafood, poultry and other meat, do you?
  • Cassandraw3
    Cassandraw3 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you have a lactose issue? Perhaps try a plant based protein if you think that is an issue.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    But the one I am using is Lactose Free
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    Well then work within your limitations to still get fiber and fat. If you have to, get a dietician involved. Constipation can be managed.

Protein powder is a protein substitute, you don't have a problem with seafood, poultry and other meat, do you?

No
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it was causing you digestive issues, who knows why -- maybe it wasn't as lactose free as advertised.

I would agree with the advice to just use other sources of protein. There are eggwhite based protein powders if you really want aa protein powder -- unless you have issues with eggs those would probably be the least likely to cause issues.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Sounds like it was causing you digestive issues, who knows why -- maybe it wasn't as lactose free as advertised.

I would agree with the advice to just use other sources of protein. There are eggwhite based protein powders if you really want aa protein powder -- unless you have issues with eggs those would probably be the least likely to cause issues.

Can it be the other things added?? Creatine? BCAA's? who knows.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Certainly could, depending on what's in there.

Many protein powders are just whey or whatever the protein source is.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am gluten intolerance so have an issue with food absorption in general, that's why powder protein is a good solution for me.

If you're managing your gluten intolerance you shouldn't still be having food absorption issues. I have ceoliac and I find you do have to check that whey powders are gluten free (like it states on the label that it is, not just the absence of gluten-containing cereals).

The end to your constipation certainly explains the weightloss tho lol, last time I glutened myself I didn't poop for 4-5 days and it felt like I was walking on air when that finally sorted itself out!
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    smolmaus wrote: »

If you're managing your gluten intolerance you shouldn't still be having food absorption issues. I have ceoliac and I find you do have to check that whey powders are gluten free (like it states on the label that it is, not just the absence of gluten-containing cereals).

The end to your constipation certainly explains the weightloss tho lol, last time I glutened myself I didn't poop for 4-5 days and it felt like I was walking on air when that finally sorted itself out!

As a Celiac I know when I am glutened, also it causes me diarrhea not constipation, I am thinking the Whey was causing water retntion and constipation but I was losing fat, thats why when I lost all the water and constipation I dropped a size in 2 days, so yes the protein was working but it was giving me side effects, I just bought a beef based protein will see how good it works.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Does the protein powdered have an added sweetener?

I have no experience, as I tolerate the stevia in mine well, but there have been posts where people have an intolerance to different sweeteners, that can cause bloating.

Another thought, personal experience only, I can only do about 35g protein at a time in a 16oz drink, otherwise I bloat. You may want to split your drink if your single drink is higher, and have it a few hours apart.

No science, just a couple of thoughts that may help.

Cheers, h.
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Does it have creatinine? Creatine can cause muscles to retain water.
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    Does it have creatinine? Creatine can cause muscles to retain water.

No, I was using Isopure Zero Carb which doesn't have any creatine, but the one I switched to now has it (Carnivore beef protein), will stick to one scoop per day and see how it goes
  • tarekhamouda7445
    Options
    I am convinced it had something to do with the whey itself.