Sodium Intake for Runner?

Options
Is it ever appropriate to increase your sodium intake when you are active? For example, I burned 1000 calories during a lunch run and definitely need to refuel after. Sugars are helpful and I get a lot more in myfitnesspal allotment but sodium doesn't change.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes, possibly. If it's warm and you've got very sweaty and drunk a lot of water?

Between having a gel and eating my normal diet I have never felt like I needed additional sodium/electrolytes after a long (10 miles +) run.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    If you're sweating a lot, it doesn't hurt to have a sports drink with electrolytes.

There's no harm in exceeding your sodium goal on MFP unless a doctor has told you to reduce your sodium intake. You might just see a bit more water retention on the scale if you have a high sodium day.
  • Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I don't ever watch my sodium intake.

I'm a fit 40 year old so I don't need to.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I purposely try to hit a sodium goal. 7 to 10 g a day.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My sister (61) does full Ironman races and her trainer said to keep a couple a few packs of McDonald's salt in her pouch. If she starts to cramp up just eat about half a pack and the cramping stops. For day to day I just salt my foods pretty heavy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    the way i look at it, i don't sweat water just water. i'm often crusty when i finish a run.
    i drink sports drinks
    and i'm a heavy salter on my foods.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Yep probably pretty important if you’re in a hot climate and running long distances. FL marathon training here, I dump boat loads of salt on my food (it looks like it snowed) and my sodium levels are always low when I get bloodwork done.
  • rsclause
    Options
    I was running in desert heat of about 105 which is very different than my usual very humid environment. I wasn't sweating until I got lost and pulled up a map to get back. One drop of sweat hit my eye and burned like acid, it was pure salt.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 4,000-5,000 mg per day. Three-ish hours in the gym per day depletes it.
  • rsclause
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    My sister (61) does full Ironman races and her trainer said to keep a couple a few packs of McDonald's salt in her pouch. If she starts to cramp up just eat about half a pack and the cramping stops. For day to day I just salt my foods pretty heavy.

I disagree with the salt choice and not because it’s McDonald’s lol....don’t use that crappy iodized salt. Stick to pink himilayan for performance regarded sodium supplementation!

I use pink too but I doubt we will find that in tiny packets. It just occurred to me that if I needed to get some I would be walking into McDonald's only for the salt. I sure that would look very odd.
  • daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't add salt to most of my meals. During Ironman training on long bike rides i would cramp if i didn't drink/eat enough so I started using Saltstick tablets. Saltstick is the brand and easy to take.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sodium intake. I have low blood pressure anyway. I'm also a heavy salter on my foods and I don't log it. I'm not sure if you're asking if you need to add more sodium to your diet because you run, or if it's ok to go over your sodium allotment because you got extra calories added but it didn't add anything to your sodium goal.
  • TPTP3
    TPTP3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had high blood pressure and recently stopped taking medication. Running and healthier eating has helped. I want to avoid a high sodium diet due to taking measures not to increase blood pressure increase risks.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 4,000-5,000 mg per day. Three-ish hours in the gym per day depletes it.

Umm what are you doing at the gym that takes up 3 hours😳
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    TPTP3 wrote: »
    I had high blood pressure and recently stopped taking medication. Running and healthier eating has helped. I want to avoid a high sodium diet due to taking measures not to increase blood pressure increase risks.

I'd check with your doctor, in that case.

Umm what are you doing at the gym that takes up 3 hours😳

Powerlifting training.