The Great Plateau of December 2018

Options
Sorry for another plateau thread, but for the past 4 weeks, I've been hitting a solid plateau where I lose 1lb, gain it back, lose two, gain one back, don't lose for a week, gain another pound...it's been a pain, and I think I have an idea what's causing it, but it sucks. Any ideas to kickstart the weight loss again?

A bit of extra info:
I've kind of drifted from exercising. I used to do it upwards of four times a week, but I'm going back to work this week and I've been sick for the past few weeks, so I've just kind of been doing nothing for fitness except watching calories.

Also, I've lost right around ~80 pounds already. It's been a slow burn - it's taken two years (probably because I just like food too much, and have some days where I'm over my calorie limit), but it's still a lot of weight. 226 is where I used to be through the latter years of high school - this is kind of my typical weight when I was growing up. For some reason, I just can't get down past this weight.

So yeah, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sorry for another plateau thread, but for the past 4 weeks, I've been hitting a solid plateau where I lose 1lb, gain it back, lose two, gain one back, don't lose for a week, gain another pound...it's been a pain, and I think I have an idea what's causing it, but it sucks. Any ideas to kickstart the weight loss again?

A bit of extra info:
    I've kind of drifted from exercising. I used to do it upwards of four times a week, but I'm going back to work this week and I've been sick for the past few weeks, so I've just kind of been doing nothing for fitness except watching calories.

Also, I've lost right around ~80 pounds already. It's been a slow burn - it's taken two years (probably because I just like food too much, and have some days where I'm over my calorie limit), but it's still a lot of weight. 226 is where I used to be through the latter years of high school - this is kind of my typical weight when I was growing up. For some reason, I just can't get down past this weight.

So yeah, any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you adjusted the calories you're eating to account for the lack of exercise? No kickstart needed, just tighten up your logging and be honest about your activity level. You obviously know what to do. The holidays can be challenging with extra social events and treats everywhere, but all the same rules apply as the rest of the year :smile:
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    It’s really about making it a priority. Working out and logging food both can tend to take the back burner even with the best of intentions.
    You know what you need to do. Workouts don’t have to be gym time. Just staying up and active can account for a lot when you truly don’t have enough hours in the day to hit the gym.
    Best of luck to you through this crazy, temptation-riddled season!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If you’re sick maybe consider eating at maintainence for a while. Sometimes a good outcome is just not gaining.
  • Skelders88
    Skelders88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

Have you adjusted the calories you're eating to account for the lack of exercise? No kickstart needed, just tighten up your logging and be honest about your activity level. You obviously know what to do. The holidays can be challenging with extra social events and treats everywhere, but all the same rules apply as the rest of the year :smile:

No, but I already have MFP adjusted for very little physical activity. That's not really a cure-all for lacking exercise, but I think MFP already has my limit 500 calories under my daily allowance. When I first started watching, I was at 306. Just watching calories was enough to lose, but when I hit around 270, I had to start exercising to actually lose weight. I'm kind of at that point again, it seems (or I just never left that point-I might need to readjust MFP again).

Thanks!
    I feel your pain.
    It’s really about making it a priority. Working out and logging food both can tend to take the back burner even with the best of intentions.
    You know what you need to do. Workouts don’t have to be gym time. Just staying up and active can account for a lot when you truly don’t have enough hours in the day to hit the gym.
    Best of luck to you through this crazy, temptation-riddled season!

Thanks. I'm hoping that going back to work will help a lot. A) I won't be home all the time with unlimited food temptations and B) It's a standing 12 hour shift. I also have plans to take a lot of protein with fruits, veggies, and nuts (while keeping it all portion-controlled so I'm not overdoing the calories). Then too, I want to buy a bike so I can start riding. Hopefully it's a perfect storm for getting back in the fast lane.
    88olds wrote: »
    If you’re sick maybe consider eating at maintainence for a while. Sometimes a good outcome is just not gaining.

There were a few days where I wasn't eating too much. Then too, a couple days where I went over my limit by a couple hundred calories. T_T Luckily I'm mostly over it, but I think I could benefit from just staying at maintenance. Soon as I get to feeling better, on my days off, I plan on riding my stationary bike more regularly again.

Now when you say eating at maintenance, you mean just going right up to my calorie limit, correct? I actually had a question about that, maybe you or someone else will have the answer.

Q: If I'm eating at maintenance, and being strict about not going over my calorie limit...it still matters that I'm not going over my fat goals, right? Like let's say I eat a lot of stuff that's high in carbs or fats. I'm under my calorie limit, but if I'm over on my fat limit, I'll still gain weight, right?

Thanks for the feedback!
  • JustMeJustEm06
    JustMeJustEm06 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Q: If I'm eating at maintenance, and being strict about not going over my calorie limit...it still matters that I'm not going over my fat goals, right? Like let's say I eat a lot of stuff that's high in carbs or fats. I'm under my calorie limit, but if I'm over on my fat limit, I'll still gain weight, right?

You know, somethin I’ve experienced is: different people react differently to fats, carbs, proteins, etc.

I have to be careful with the carbs and proteins, but process fats fine. That’s just my experience. You need to find what works for you. What do you find bloats you or makes you gain?

When I was hitting the gym five days a week hardcore upping my protein actually hurt me while focusing on fats helped. Also, I reckon it depends on goals a bit, though it’s way over my head. Like weight loss versus building muscle definition.

Not sure if that makes sense or helps, but just my experience!