Teach me about macros!!

Options
So I’ve been trying to become more aware of hitting my macros than calories. I plugged my info and goals into a random website and it told me what my numbers should be. I have no clue what so ever if they’re accurate honestly. And I don’t know how to hit them!! I pre log and am still low on everything, and I play with my diary so much trying to add foods to hit them but end up deleting some of the foods that I already wasn’t hitting my numbers on because I physically cannot force my body to eat enough to hit them. Is there some list of secret foods that will help me get there?! Any tips?? Send helpppp!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Weight management is about calories, not macros. Macros are very individual...I wouldn't let some calculator give me some arbitrary macro ratio based on nothing. Most of these macro calculators are just spitting out stupid high protein numbers 'cuz protein, protein, protein is all the rage. Yeah, it's important...but these calculators are spitting out stupid high numbers for most people. At some point, you're just making expensive glucose.

There is not universally superior macro ratio...they are very individual. A marathon runner is going to have a different optimal macro ratio from a bodybuilder for example. You also have to play around with what satisfies you...a lot of people for example do really well with high fat diets because they feel satisfied and full...I do better with a diet higher in complex carbohydrates and lots of plants.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Since fat has 9 calories per gram and carbs/protein have 4 calories per gram, counting macros is counting calories. If you hit all 3 macros, you should hit your calories. There will be some variation due to rounding but your calories and calories-calculated-from-macros should be within about 100 calories. If they are farther apart than that, investigate the accuracy of the database entries that you are using.

It's a balancing act to hit all three. My suggestion is that you pick one or two macros to hit (for example, protein and fat) and let the other(s) fall wherever.
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Weight management is about calories, not macros. Macros are very individual...I wouldn't let some calculator give me some arbitrary macro ratio based on nothing. Most of these macro calculators are just spitting out stupid high protein numbers 'cuz protein, protein, protein is all the rage. Yeah, it's important...but these calculators are spitting out stupid high numbers for most people. At some point, you're just making expensive glucose.

There is not universally superior macro ratio...they are very individual. A marathon runner is going to have a different optimal macro ratio from a bodybuilder for example. You also have to play around with what satisfies you...a lot of people for example do really well with high fat diets because they feel satisfied and full...I do better with a diet higher in complex carbohydrates and lots of plants.

I was having a very difficult time recovering from my workouts. Someone suggested more protein and it was like the magical trick once I realized I was incredibly low compared to what I should be consuming, and I began feeling so much better. I’m not saying that I’m going to eat 1,000 extra calories to hit my macros. Thanks for your input though :smile:
  • AshleyMFitness16
    AshleyMFitness16 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Since fat has 9 calories per gram and carbs/protein have 4 calories per gram, counting macros is counting calories. If you hit all 3 macros, you should hit your calories. There will be some variation due to rounding but your calories and calories-calculated-from-macros should be within about 100 calories. If they are farther apart than that, investigate the accuracy of the database entries that you are using.

It's a balancing act to hit all three. My suggestion is that you pick one or two macros to hit (for example, protein and fat) and let the other(s) fall wherever.

Thanks a lot! I just looked back and realized it’s increasing my macros with my workouts adding calories in. I just turned that function off and am much happier with my numbers.