Water Aerobics

Options
I recently had to change my exercise routine due to a leg injury. I am doing water aerobics, but don’t feel like it’s much of a workout. I’m 69 and was active prior to my injury. Suggestions? Has anyone else had the same experience?

Replies

• OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is great! That's when I found you could exercise so much you could get your heart rate up and sweat in the water! Depending on your leg injury, maybe you can't do it that vigorously. Can you use the Elliptical?
    That's pretty easy on the knees and ankles. I no longer can get to the pool due to many other issues, but that's what I was doing on 9/11 when the planes hit the Twin Towers. We all stood there dripping wet, watching the TV in complete disbelief. Good luck. Hope you find a good exercise routine while you heal!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Increase your resistance in the water by using water weights. Water jogging is a surprisingly challenging work out!
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is a great way to work out when you have an injury. It can have quite a high calorie burn as it is cardio combined with a resistance element. You don't feel like it is too hard as you don't get hot and sweaty.

I think like any exercise it depends on how much effort you put in. You can kind of float through it or you can really push yourself. It also depends a lot on your instructor I have had some rubbish ones who don't really know how to get the best use out of the water. The one I liked the most gave us dumbbell floats to increase resistance.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There are different styles of water fitness classes, some mie vigorous than others. Find out what else your pool offers. Also talk with the instructor and ask how you can make the workout more challenging.
  • Meganlea1234
    Meganlea1234 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I like my aqua aerobics class and my aqua zumba. If you don't feel challenged talk with the instructor they maybe able to give you some tips. I know that things as simple as opening hands and not keeping a clenched fist can add resistance or utilizing weights can add to the challenge.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    I second (or third) the recommendation to talk to the instructor. The classes I take 4x a week (three different instructors) are really great. Very strenuous and challenging. However, many people in the class are able to chat through the entire thing, so clearly it's more about what you put into it. One thing we are reminded is that you don't necessarily have to do anything faster. Sometimes slower with more power is very challenging. Let them know what you want. I once had an instructor tell me that when I joined the class, she stepped up her game. She works according to the feedback of the group. If they're all chatty and just floating around, she's not going to get up there and demand work. However, if even ONE person shows up and puts in an effort, she'll teach to that one person's level and let everyone else tone it down.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    Like any exercise, you can make it as hard or as easy as you want it to be. Don't use a waist floatie; your core will have to do twice the work if you skip it in the deep water. Use the resistence barbells and really engage your muscles as you work. Try doing some speed bootcamp style swim drills before or after the class. (Push off from the side of the pool with your feet, then swim back to the side as fast as you can make the transition. Do that ten times and you will get your heart rate going.) Try water jogging. You can google it. It is a surprisingly great work out.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been doing acquagym for 22 yrs. What everyone is saying--it is as strenuous as you make it. Certain instructors ask a lot, others do mobility work which is different but also good. Mine gives me a real workout. If you have to hold back on leg work, just do more arms and torso. Talk to the instructor. Classes at different times can have different levels of difficulty. I was in a class with elderly ladies chit-chatting, and then changed to a class with mostly young women--it was much more challenging.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I’m with everyone who says it can be as strenuous as you make it.

10 years ago, almost to the day, it was my choice of exercise when I started losing weight.

It exhausted me, I’d never exercised until then (54yo). When we were supposed to jump straight up from chest high water out of the water as high as possible I managed a couple of inches, now, my knees are out of the water. (Can’t jump on land to save my life :))
    Same with any other move, my intensity progressed as my fitness level progressed.

I don’t use aquafit as my only exercise anymore, but I still get a challenging workout from it once a week.

Cheers, h.