How many calories for 7000 steps?

Options
jojo19812018
jojo19812018 Posts: 66 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi, any help would be appreciated. I just got a new Garmin watch. When I use that for steps, it gives a ridiculously high amount of extra calories for the day to eat. For example... 8000 steps and an extra 600 calories. I know that’s not correct. When I use my phone, I get about 60 extra calories for 8000 steps. I’m 5’1 and 170 pounds. What would be roughly the correct amount of extra calories? Thank you

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories the app credits you for steps will also depend on the activity level you have chosen in settings.

8000 steps for someone with a sedentary setting will add calories whereas 8000 steps for someone who's selected Very Active would get credited 0 (or even negative if they've selected that option).

The best thing to do is take a few weeks and experiment. Eat half the credited calories and see what happens. Depending on if your average weight drops faster, slower and as expected you can make adjustments so that you continue to lose weight at a reasonable rate without depriving yourself and making things too hard.

FWIW 600 calories for 8k steps sounds WAY more reasonable than 60.
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you go to the exercise diary you can see where the Garmin is reconciling calories with MFP. Click on the info link next to that and the FAQ button to get a more detailed explanation. Below is also a link that explains how it all works.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1084232-what-is-the-calorie-adjustment-in-my-exercise-diary?article_id=1084232-what-is-the-calorie-adjustment-in-my-exercise-diary
  • jojo19812018
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. Ive selected lightly active as I’m on my feet all day as a nurse. So you think 60 extra calories for 8000 steps seems to low?
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    60 calories for 8000 steps seems super low to me. I'd expect it to be more in the ball park of 400 or there abouts.

One possible explanation is that this is the calories above and beyond the activity level that MFP lightly active credits you with.

by this I mean, if 'Lightly Active' assumes that you'll be taking roughly 7000 steps per day your calorie target will already include those steps. Taking 8000 steps means that your exceeding your expected activity by 1000 steps and the app is crediting you 60 extra calories for those extra steps only.
  • jojo19812018
    Options
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain all of that. It makes sense. I appreciate your help 😊