Does anybody else have big love handles?

Options
I am most insecure about my love handles. They're so big, and not shrinking even with diet and exercise. My waist and upper abdomen seem to be shrinking the most . My love handles are about 7 inches bigger than my waist. I am considering getting lipo on them in the future. Do you guys think itll eventually go away ? Some people have told me they never go away without surgery.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You can't really control where your body stores fat...mine is all love handles and lower belly, so I totally feel your pain...those are the very last places that I lose the fat...but, the reality is, if you continue to lose fat it will eventually come off even those stubborn areas.

You are losing in your waist and upper abdomen, it will eventually start to lose further south and hit the love handles, just keep up the good work and give it time.
  • nickreams93
    nickreams93 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have love handles too 😱😂
  • LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Yep. I got love handles with my first pregnancy. Joy! lol
    Just keep losing, exercising, toning up and hopefully the weight will eventually come off there.
  • jorgetiagosantos3
    jorgetiagosantos3 Posts: 6 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Guy here, with huge love handles. I am loosing weight, my chest, shoulders, arms etc got quite dry, but I keep the love handles (however smaller than before). The only way to go is to keep cutting the bf% and they will eventually disappear. If your body is programmed to store fat predominantly in that region it will probably be the last place for the fat to disappear, but it will at sufficiently low bf.

In me it is ridiculous because I have a quite broad muscular chest, then a somewhat thin natural waist with a pronounced curve from the chest, but then my lower abdomen is again extremely broad bc of the love handles. It is almost like an hourglass silhouette (not in a good way, even more in a guy) but the lower broad part is from the love handles instead of hips :)
    Yes, look up exercises that work your oblique muscles.

@dVe002 This is complete non sense, you cannot spot reduce with local muscle work!!! When your body needs to use stored fat for energy it will convert them into glucose and release it into the blood stream, which carries the glucose to the muscle needing it. The fat converted can originate anywhere in the body, it is not a local process, and it is determined by many factors, mainly the differential between the body fat distribution programmed into ur genes and the amount of fat u currently carry in ur different body regions .

The only local energy supply process in our bodies is the consumption of the muscle own glycogen stores, which will be fastly replenished if you have proper nutrition. They can even be replenished by the glucose originated from fat conversion, however this requires extremely specific insulin (mainly, other hormones also have a role) response states and it is not very usual (the insulin levels for converting fat into glucose are opposite of the levels required to convert glucose into glycogen and store it into the muscles). Most glycogen is replenished with your liver reserves and the liver reserves replenished using your meal macros and converted fat).

• jorgetiagosantos3
    Options
    In a less serious note, you should not be insecure about them. You know why they are called "love" handles right :blush: Many people appreciate them.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I had love handles, losing weight really helped although they were pretty much the last to reduce - genetics mean that I'm still curvy - I still have slight love handles but in order to fully lose them I'd look too thin. Embrace your curves, a lot of women have them and look great. IMO most of us are predisposed to have them.
  • yanellymay1999
    yanellymay1999 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Another female here with the horrid "love handles" - and no, mine are not my hips, and there's nothing womanly or shapely about them. They sit above my hips (well above, actually at the top of my pelvis/right around and behind the illiac crest) and they are the last place on my body to lose from. I will be feeling trim and svelte everywhere else and still have those darn things.

They can and will go away eventually, but if your body is like mine, they will be the last thing to go. For me, as I get lower in weight, they almost create a little "shelf" just below my waist (trust me, nothing sexy about that!), but the only solution (short of lipo) is to keep on losing. Chances are, they won't fully go away until almost to goal.

My pants inform me they are finally shrinking when I'm about 15 pounds from my goal weight - until then, I seem to lose everywhere else, but not those darn "love handles!"

Yes !! I know they're love handles because they are at the same level as my belly button lol! Hopefully one day theyll go away so I can start wearing dresses! For now I stick to clothes that hide them
  • yanellymay1999
    yanellymay1999 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everybody that commented !! Your advice has made me feel alot better. The MFP community is better than the real life one lol. I will always keep that advice in hand!