Yogurt and milk: equal calories?

Options
amy19355
amy19355 Posts: 805 Member
edited December 2018 in Food and Nutrition
I started making my own plain yogurt with great success.

Is the calorie count equal to the milk used to make the yogurt? I don’t know if the fermentation process causes a change in any of the nutritional makeup.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• amy19355
    Options
  • amy19355
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    amy19355 wrote: »
    I started making my own plain yogurt with great success.

Is the calorie count equal to the milk used to make the yogurt? I don’t know if the fermentation process causes a change in any of the nutritional makeup.

Thanks in advance!

Its the same thing. If you use lets say 1000cal of milk you will get 1000cal of yogurt. You ear the whole thing at once you are 1000cal. Simple.

that is what I was thinking. the link i found and posted above did make reference to the fact that some of the sugars are consumed during the process, but, it wasn't clear to me how /if that significantly altered the amount of measurable sugars such that I should try to account for it.

probably i'm overthinking this; I eat only about 6-8 ounces a day of PLAIN yogurt and added fruits are my measurable sugars.

Mostly I wanted some confidence in choosing the branded milk product for logging purposes, since the yogurt I make isn't there.

thanks!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    For 2litre of milk and 100g starter yogurt I get a weight of 2134g.
    This makes 1035g yogurt.

I just divide the total grams of yogurt into the milk and starter cals to get my serving and nutritional breakdown. I haven’t worried about any variances between yogurt and milk.

I use lactose free 2% milk.

Cheers, h.
  • amy19355
    Options
    This makes 1035g yogurt.

I just divide the total grams of yogurt into the milk and starter cals to get my serving and nutritional breakdown. I haven’t worried about any variances between yogurt and milk.

Cheers, h.

so.... where does the 1000 grams go?
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    The excess liquids that are strained off go down the drain.
    It is way too watery for my taste straight from the pot.

Cheers, h.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This makes 1035g yogurt.

Cheers, h.

Evaporates. You generally "cook" the milk at low temps for long periods, right?
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    While this link is about kefir rather than yogurt, it might help explain what happens to the calories in various kinds of milk in the fermentation process. https://www.culturedfoodlife.com/how-many-calories-in-kefir/

Remember, the bacteria which ferment yogurt are not the same as those which ferment kefir.

Now, to yogurt. I make my own using using powdered milk. I want something more similar to greek yogurt without the straining, so I use 3x the amount of milk powder needed (for making milk). This works quite nicely. I make 2 quarts in a crock pot. It comes out thick, creamy, and delicious. I had a bowl of it this morning.

I don't precisely know what my nutritional analysis actually is. My recipe is merely the sum of milk powder and water, plus the yogurt inoculant, with the portions being 1.0 ounce.
  • amy19355
    Options
    jlemoore: i use my instant pot to make yogurt - it is a closed system except for the one hour waiting for the temp to reduce from 185 to 112. I wouldn't have thought that 1000 grams would disappear as escaping heat, but it sounds like what you are suggesting.

crazyravr: I do NOT strain my yogurt.

When I make my next batch, I'll weigh the milk and the resulting batch of yogurt, and determine the values accordingly. That was a great suggestion from middlehaitch, that, in hindsight, I should have been able to figure out for myself!

thanks!!
  • middlehaitch
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Crazyravr, I think was referring to my post saying I strain it and that is what happens to the 1000g loss in my yogurt you were asking about.

I too use my instant pot. I use lactose free milk as it doesn’t need to do the high temp. I just put the milk and starter in lock the pot and hit the yogurt button.

BTW, it wasn’t an instant insight doing the maths. I had to sit and contemplate how to do it.

Per 1cups (250ml) was the nutritional value breakdown on my milk so I multiplied everything by 8 for my total pre yougurt values, then added my starter to that for the overall total.

Cheers, h.
  • amy19355
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Crazyravr, I think was referring to my post saying I strain it and that is what happens to the 1000g loss in my yogurt you were asking about.

I too use my instant pot. I use lactose free milk as it doesn’t need to do the high temp. I just put the milk and starter in lock the pot and hit the yogurt button.

BTW, it wasn’t an instant insight doing the maths. I had to sit and contemplate how to do it.

Per 1cups (250ml) was the nutritional value breakdown on my milk so I multiplied everything by 8 for my total pre yougurt values, then added my starter to that for the overall total.

Cheers, h.

I just made a batch using the lactose free Fairlife whole milk and freeze dried starter, and finally got desired results without any straining. (I did the heat it up and cool it method).

It doesn’t seem as sweet to my tastes as prior batches, sweet being somewhat subjective to taste in the plain yogurts. I suppose the lactose plays some kind of a role in that. I think also the grass fed cow produces milk that tastes different from milks from other-fed cows.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    For those that do strain the whey from the yogurt, how many calories are removed?
  • amy19355
    Options
    For those that do strain the whey from the yogurt, how many calories are removed?

i googled my way to a few links with discussions on this question:
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/533194-nutritional-value-of-milk-whey-liquid/
    https://www.farmcurious.com/blogs/farmcurious/17599408-cheesemaking-what-to-do-with-all-that-whey
    https://dontwastethecrumbs.com/2014/05/36-ways-to-use-whey-and-5-ways-to-make-it/

there were also some results pointing to MFP food database - but i was doubtful of their accuracy, because the 1 cup calorie count noted was 10x or more than any other sources of info. (no green check on the food database item either, to increase my doubt).

I don't know what i did right with my last batch that was exactly as thick as I wanted, and , so far results in zero separation after three days in the fridge. I hope I can do it again, because it really did hit all my yogurt buttons the right way.

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you let yogurt drain long enough (past the Greek yogurt stage), you end up with yogurt cheese that has a spreadable texture similar to cream cheese and can be used in the same ways.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    I suspect Santa is bringing me an Insta Pot and will have to give this yogurt making a shot.
  • amy19355
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    By the way, if you let yogurt drain long enough (past the Greek yogurt stage), you end up with yogurt cheese that has a spreadable texture similar to cream cheese and can be used in the same ways.

recently i was in italy, and at a meal there was included something they called yogurt cheese, but it was more like what I would describe as a soft-set mozzarella, a little stringy and runny at the same time, while still having enough form to pick up with a fork. It sure was tasty but without the tang of a yogurt. could be a regional difference from the milk I suppose, or, maybe it's an entirely different product with the same name.

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    jlemoore wrote: »
    This makes 1035g yogurt.

Cheers, h.

Evaporates. You generally "cook" the milk at low temps for long periods, right?

Nope not at all. What she does is strain the yogurt to make it thicker.... think Greek yogurt.

Keep it simple. 1000cal of milk is 1000cal of yogurt no matter what. How much you eat is up to you.

Well, if you're straining it to make it thicker, you are losing some calories from whey in the liquid you strain off. Not sure how significant that is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »

recently i was in italy, and at a meal there was included something they called yogurt cheese, but it was more like what I would describe as a soft-set mozzarella, a little stringy and runny at the same time, while still having enough form to pick up with a fork. It sure was tasty but without the tang of a yogurt. could be a regional difference from the milk I suppose, or, maybe it's an entirely different product with the same name.

Yogurt cheese is cheese made from yogurt, and you can get it in a fresh form, either similar to fresh mozzarella or something more spreadable, similar to cream cheese, or you can get a product that's a little older, sort of semi-soft, more the consistency of Laughing Cow/BabyBel cheese. I guess it would be possible to make a harder, aged cheese with it, but I don't recall ever seeing that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Thats not easy to calculate. Someone posted about this before. But what I would do is NONE are removed and make your life easier.

This is what I would do too. It's how I deal with homemade nut milks.

I am about to start making yogurt at home, so have been thinking about this (of course, I've been saying this for 6 months or so!).
  • amy19355
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Thats not easy to calculate. Someone posted about this before. But what I would do is NONE are removed and make your life easier.

I am about to start making yogurt at home, so have been thinking about this (of course, I've been saying this for 6 months or so!).

One of the many benefits that I enjoy about making yogurt at home is eliminating plastic waste from the store packaging.
    I make a batch in a stainless bowl in my instant pot and transfer to mason jars for my fridge.

The flavor alone is enough to keep me doing it at home.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

One of the many benefits that I enjoy about making yogurt at home is eliminating plastic waste from the store packaging.
    I make a batch in a stainless bowl in my instant pot and transfer to mason jars for my fridge.

The flavor alone is enough to keep me doing it at home.

I have access to some delicious yogurts (farmers market + a grocery store that has a huge selection of more middle eastern-focused ethnic options, including yogurts), so am not sure it will taste better, but it seems fun to try.