Protein recommendation

Options
The myfitnesspal recommendation for protein seems way to high. The recommendation for me is 233 grams. Any thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your overall calorie goal? Are you sure those are the defaults or did you adjust them?
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much you weigh and what your plan is (lose, gain, maintain). A recommendation is just that though. It isn't set in stone.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    jerrysail wrote: »
    The myfitnesspal recommendation for protein seems way to high. The recommendation for me is 233 grams. Any thoughts?

Need some context for that. What is your height and weight, what did you enter as your goal (lose, gain, maintain), what is your calorie goal?
  • jerrysail
    jerrysail Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My calories are listed as 1,800 to lose weight. I can't remember if this was an automatic number.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Then yes those seem awful high for that calorie deficit. Try 0.6-0.8g/pound body weight.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Did you change the default macro settings? I believe MFP defaults to 50% carbs, 30% protein, 20% fat (or something close to that), so in an 1800 calorie diet that would equate to 135g of protein. 233g of protein would be about 52% of your calorie goal.

[ETA:] I had fat and protein transposed - it's apparently 50%C, 30%F, 20%P - which would equate to 90g of protein for an 1800 calorie diet if following MFP's default macros.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My calories are listed as 1,800 to lose weight. I can't remember if this was an automatic number.

I'm pretty sure the default is 20%, 233 grams would be almost 52% of your calories, so it's not at default anymore. That's not to say 20% is correct, just that that's the default setting.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Those aren't the defaults. I would try setting your goals again, it looks like you made an adjustment to a higher protein level at some point (or there is a bug somewhere).
  • jerrysail
    jerrysail Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I did make a mistake when entering the macros and have now entered the correct percentages. I'm not sure about the amounts for the different types of fats, but I won't worry about it today. Thanks again for your help!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,758 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »
    Then yes those seem awful high for that calorie deficit. Try 0.6-0.8g/pound body weight.

Adding: Base that on a healthy goal weight, if current weight is significantly over/under a healthy target range.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much. I did make a mistake when entering the macros and have now entered the correct percentages. I'm not sure about the amounts for the different types of fats, but I won't worry about it today. Thanks again for your help!

MFP uses nationally recognized limits/goals (like from the USDA), and there is no limit or goal for the different unsat fats, just a limit for sat fat. They used to show the unsat fats as N/A, but it got lost in an upgrade at some point.

Unfortunately, that's not always clear in the reports and logs here, the difference between which is a limit and which is a goal!