Indulgent coffee

Options
I love coffee and I love indulgent flavored coffee even more. I usually buy the flavored creamers, but that is making my coffee a 120 calorie drink. The sugar free ones are...yuck!

Does anyone have flavorful coffee idea that’s low calorie that I can switch to?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I want flavor in my coffee, I get a flavored bean. When the coffee itself is flavored, it adds no calories. They make different flavors like hazelnut, French toast, cream brulee, etc.

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Sprinkle some cinnamon in the ground coffee when u brew and add a tiny dash of cream
  • jamesjeffsmith
    jamesjeffsmith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    pumpkin spice - cinnamon ginger nutmeg mango a little milk if needed
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I similarly enjoy flavored coffee creamer but had the same issue with the calories. Eventually, I found the minimum amount of creamer that satisfied me in my daily morning coffee and stick close to that on a daily basis and log those calories daily. Depending on the size I wouldn't consider 120 cal overly indulgent. My 38g of creamer for ~20-24 oz of coffee ends up at 103 calories. I'd probably been using at least twice that much before I really started being vigilant about my logging.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I sometimes put some low-fat chocolate milk in mine. 40-50 calories worth does it for me. A sprinkle of cinnamon in that would be good.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Agree with the spice in coffee tips.
    Our christmas special is speculaas (cinnamon based cookie) coffee and all it need is half a teaspoon the coffee brew
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I have never liked flavors in my coffee but I did use to drink it really sweet with lots of sugar. I ended weaning myself down little by little to 1/2 tsp of sugar in each cup. Now I can't stand overly sweet coffee.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    When I want flavor in my coffee, I get a flavored bean. When the coffee itself is flavored, it adds no calories. They make different flavors like hazelnut, French toast, cream brulee, etc.

^^^this! There are so many flavors of flavored coffee out there.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    pumpkin spice - cinnamon ginger nutmeg mango a little milk if needed

Mango? Is that an auto correct for something? No mango in pumpkin spice.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I'm indulging in the Starbucks double shot coffee & protien at the moment. It's 200 calories for the vanilla but it contaings 20g of protien so I look at it as coffee & protien shake:)
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I'm indulging in the Starbucks double shot coffee & protien at the moment. It's 200 calories for the vanilla but it contaings 20g of protien so I look at it as coffee & protien shake:)

An alternative that is lower in calories would be to add coffee to a liquid protein shake (like Premier). The caramel one is great :)
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lol guess im lucky as long as coffee aint just black then i love it. but I do go for some flavored coffee bean sometimes they have hazelnut flavors but ive seen alot of people on youtube make iced coffee they put coffee in a blender with butter or coconut oil. ORRR that caramel protein in their coffee
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So it kind of depends what makes it "indulgent" to you. Is it the flavor or the creaminess?

If it's the creaminess, you might find that if you switch to fattier dairy, you don't have to sweeten it. A small portion of half&half, whole milk, or cream might do the trick.

As others have mentioned, flavored coffee beans with some milk might work, or sugar free coffee syrups. I will mix a small (15 calorie) portion of Ovaltine or Nestle Quick into Fairlife 2% milk (40 cals) before adding it to my coffee.

You can also just slowly step down your serving size of flavored creamer, giving yourself a few days each time to get used to the new amount, until you reach a point you can't get past. You might find you don't need nearly as much as you think you do! Over time, I've worked down from a serving and a half of flavored creamer, to 40 cals of 2% milk. Now when I have access to a flavored creamer it's like an awesome treat :smiley:
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    So I was the exact same way I love creamy, sweet coffee. & I like three cups a day 🤣
    So what I did is I slowly cut back the amount I used I went from 4-5 tablespoons to 2 tablespoons. & I also had one squirt of sugar free vanilla syrup. I find that really works for me.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Oh I forgot to add that’s 70 calories per cup of coffee. Which I think is pretty reasonable
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

An alternative that is lower in calories would be to add coffee to a liquid protein shake (like Premier). The caramel one is great :)

Thanks for the tip! I’ve tried powdered and couldn’t get the clumps out so I’ll try this!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    cathipa wrote: »

Thanks for the tip! I’ve tried powdered and couldn’t get the clumps out so I’ll try this!

@leanjogreen18 - A tip for powdered protein in coffee: Mix it with a bit of water (or milk) first, then pour it into the coffee. Powdered protein has the tendency to clump/clot when you add it directly into hot liquids.

As to the OP - I use 2 ounces of Fairlife whole milk (about 40 calories) in my coffee, and if I want more flavor I add something like the Torani sugar-free syrups (0 cal).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I add calories and call it breakfast:

rfpq0xekuinb.png

I mix the protein powder with the chia seeds, which are soaked in a little water, and let the coffee cool a bit before mixing because, as noted above, protein powder tends to clump when added directly to very hot liquid.
  • Klmom123
    Klmom123 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Love all these ideas! Thank you!
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon of unsweetened cocoa powder. This stuff is especially good:
    elbu0a8fyirj.png