Protein powder

Options
fitmom032020
fitmom032020 Posts: 46 Member
edited December 2018 in Food and Nutrition
So, I know this is probably been talked about before and I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, but I just recently started working out at the gym and the trainer there told me that I needed to start thinking about protein shakes and amino acids I was just wondering how to pick out the best ones... thank you in advance

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Don't use then meself for work outa. I just eat a whole foods meal later. I do bake with it. You can replace up to 1/3 of flour with a whey blend.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The cynic in me is wondering if your trainer makes some extra money selling supplements....

Did your trainer ask you about your usual protein intake and your protein goal?
    Did they explain the relationship between amino acids and protein? (If he/she is suggesting BCAAs then that's a red flag about their advice.)

Before you start thinking about the "best ones" have a think about whether you need to supplement at all.
    They can be a calorie and money efficient way to help reach a suitable protein goal but first think if you actually need them or want them.
  • fitmom032020
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein foods when I eat wisely that is. I kind of went on a downward spiral of quick and easy foods rather then cooking for myself and planning wisely as I have in the past. What the trainer told me was that I needed the amino acid and protien to rebuild muscle and to repair any torn muscles that may occur during workouts as well as to stop from hurting the next day, but I've always been told to eat a banana or pickles after workouts... so as I said I'm sorry for being uneducated, but I've never really worked out at a gym usually just run or play tennis...
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Protein powders are good for helping you get adequate protein to build and repair your muscles. Consistency in the gym and your diet is the key to progress so powders help you maintain a consistent protein intake. It's no different to having a chicken breast or piece of fish, but it's more convenient. You need at least a fist size portion of protein with each meal, and starchy carbs before/after a workout can help give you energy and recover. Your diet should be balanced in this way whether you're doing tennis or weight training. Good luck
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I eat a lot of protein foods when I eat wisely that is. I kind of went on a downward spiral of quick and easy foods rather then cooking for myself and planning wisely as I have in the past. What the trainer told me was that I needed the amino acid and protien to rebuild muscle and to repair any torn muscles that may occur during workouts as well as to stop from hurting the next day, but I've always been told to eat a banana or pickles after workouts... so as I said I'm sorry for being uneducated, but I've never really worked out at a gym usually just run or play tennis...

Then eat wisely and you don't need to supplement.
    Only the elite few need to micro manage their nutrition around a normal duration workout.
    (Banana would be for carbs, not really necessary for a low calorie burn exercise like strength training, pickles would be for replacing electrolytes lost by sweating heavily. Neither are required.)

If you are getting sufficient protein you are getting sufficient amino acids.
    Muscle breakdown and repair are perfectly normal functions and just need the support of a balanced and healthy diet. It's not as complicated as your trainer is making out.

• fitmom032020
    Options
    Thank you all for the amazing advice I really appreciate it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Proteins are made of amino acids. Repairing muscle tissue requires complete protein, which you do not get from "amino acid" supplements such as creatine. Creatine is safe, cheap, easy, and incomplete. So is BCAA. If you are deep into the data and vegan, you may find that amino acid supplements are a useful addition, but then you'd have to be sure they were vegan sourced.