Carbohydrates

Options
Can anyone suggest some carbohydrates that are low in calories besides fruits and vegetables? A majority of my carbs come by means of veggies and fruits but I am really missing rice/bread/pasta. Not that Ive eliminated these from my diet, I start each morning with a bagel, but they are so calorie heavy that it doesn't seem worth it to eat more of them besides the bagel in the morning.

Replies

• sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pasta is amazing because it takes a while for you body to process and gives you the energy that you need!
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I have been consuming the weight watchers multigrain or whole wheat bread. The slices are small and a bit thin but it is the only bread that is low enough in calories that I can actually have 2 slices, so a sandwich on occassion. I was really missing bread so was happy to find this. We also have whole wheat couscous on occassion as my husband loves it and it fulfills my carb craving.
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    my huge bowl of oatmeal feels a whole lot more than 150 calories thats for sure!!! (well i do add flax meal, milk, and fruits/nuts) but it ends up a huge bowl!
  • antiadipose
    antiadipose Posts: 447
    Options
    and natures own 100% whole wheat bread is 50 calories a slice.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I eat Arnolds sandwich things and whole grain pitas.
    Both yummy and I usually fill them with veggies.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I eat Arnolds sandwich things and whole grain pitas.
    Both yummy and I usually fill them with veggies.

sandwich thins......
  • mooz
    mooz Posts: 101
    Options
    I gotta check out the bread aisle a little more carefully when I go shopping this weekend and see if my store carries any of these brands.

I tried the whole wheat pasta but a serving is only 2oz and right now that really isn't enough for me. I feel ... cheated somewhat. I'm Italian so I'm used to eating very large quanties of pasta. lol!
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    Whole wheat pasta/breads, brown rice, pancake mix and oatmeal!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

I tried the whole wheat pasta but a serving is only 2oz and right now that really isn't enough for me. I feel ... cheated somewhat. I'm Italian so I'm used to eating very large quanties of pasta. lol!
    I'm pretty sure a serving of regular pasta is 2 oz also.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,743 Member
    Options
    That's 2 ounces dry. It's considerably more than that when it's cooked. :happy:
  • mooz
    Options
    I know this'll be jaw dropping but servings of pasta that I'm used to are upwards of 4cups. That's what we would normally have.

2oz dried pasta is usually 1.5 cups after it's cooked. Big difference from the 4c. I know I should be getting used to it but I can't. I'd almost rather go without pasta but I really would like to eat a sandwich every once in a while. I love the bread ideas.

I buy Body Wise wraps. They're only 80 calories per wrap. I love those for our taco nights.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa, sweet potatoes, and wild rice.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Try quinoa, sweet potatoes, and wild rice.
    Love quinoa, and you get a protein boost! I don't eat bread or pasta..i've come to the conclusion that my thighs would prefer that I don't indulge..so be it!
  • mooz
    Options
    Quinoa...maybe I'm not cooking it right but I had it a few times and it tasted like grass. Any suggestions on how to make it palatible? Someone years ago said I wasn't washing it properly. Is there a way to prepare it?
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Quinoa...maybe I'm not cooking it right but I had it a few times and it tasted like grass. Any suggestions on how to make it palatible? Someone years ago said I wasn't washing it properly. Is there a way to prepare it?

Instead of cooking in water, I cook in chicken stock, spices, and lemon juice. It's really good that way.
  • Cathy_5011
    Cathy_5011 Posts: 78
    Options
    Ha Ha I am Italian to and my family is used to having some form of a pasta dish 4 times a week. It has been really hard to cut it down to 1 day a week. I haven’t tried the wheat pasta yet. How does it taste? Is it a noticeable difference?
  • robstot
    robstot Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    A baked potato with no butter or sour cream. Add a spice or sitr fry mushrroms and peppers on top. Do not be afraid of the potato, the carbs are good and the calories low. Sweet potato also great.
  • mooz
    Options

Instead of cooking in water, I cook in chicken stock, spices, and lemon juice. It's really good that way.

Thanks, I'll try that on the weekend. I make my own stock and I have some in my freezer.
  • Cathy_5011
    Cathy_5011 Posts: 78
    Options
    I gotta check out the bread aisle a little more carefully when I go shopping this weekend and see if my store carries any of these brands.

Ha Ha I am Italian to and my family is used to having some form of a pasta dish 4 times a week. It has been really hard to cut it down to 1 day a week. I haven’t tried the wheat pasta yet. How does it taste? Is it a noticeable difference?
  • mooz
    Options
    A baked potato with no butter or sour cream. Add a spice or sitr fry mushrroms and peppers on top. Do not be afraid of the potato, the carbs are good and the calories low. Sweet potato also great.

I absolutely love potatoes and enjoy them whenever I can. I love roasting white potatoes and sweet potatoes with EVOO and some rosemary, salt & pepper. Yummy!