Low-Impact Exercise (Aerial Yoga)

SchatzieLoosesWeight
SchatzieLoosesWeight Posts: 22 Member
edited December 2018 in Motivation and Support
I knew at 55% body fat and a weight of 230 was causing my joint pain. It seemed how could I start an exercise routine without all the pressure on my joints? I found aerial yoga through a friend. At first, it’s rough. Especially since you’re using your body weight and gravity. I may not have been great during my first few sessions, but I’ve become addicted. I’ve built my upper body strength and can now start to do some of the moves. It’s mostly a lot of stretching, lengthening and strength building. After 3 weeks, I feel so much stronger and can start to feel more flexible. I can even touch my toes. I recommend this exercise for anyone with knee or back pain. It has tremendously helped with my back pain, knee pain and even carpal tunnel. I so dedicated to this journey, I have a goal to become an instructor one day to help others who are obese to get their strength and energy back. My advice to anyone wanting to start, just think one day at a time. 🙌 You CAN do this.

Replies

• Bj0223
    Bj0223 Posts: 133 Member
    There's a aerial yoga opening in my neighborhood. I can't wait to try it!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i'm glad you discovered it. i have an autoimmune disorder and find regular yoga too hard on my joints. but i've been doing aerial yoga for 7ish years
    we all start somewhere. i couldn't touch my toes when i started

do it! @Bj0223
  • Ive done Ariel yoga because I have horrible balance, but i also found that both gentle yoga, and reformer pilates were great. You might try 1 of those. Good instructors can modify.
  • Yes! The increase in flexibility has been amazing. 🙂
  • initiation0
    initiation0 Posts: 22 Member
    I knew at 55% body fat and a weight of 230 was causing my joint pain. It seemed how could I start an exercise routine without all the pressure on my joints? I found aerial yoga through a friend. At first, it’s rough. Especially since you’re using your body weight and gravity. I may not have been great during my first few sessions, but I’ve become addicted. I’ve built my upper body strength and can now start to do some of the moves. It’s mostly a lot of stretching, lengthening and strength building. After 3 weeks, I feel so much stronger and can start to feel more flexible. I can even touch my toes. I recommend this exercise for anyone with knee or back pain. It has tremendously helped with my back pain, knee pain and even carpal tunnel. I so dedicated to this journey, I have a goal to become an instructor one day to help others who are obese to get their strength and energy back. My advice to anyone wanting to start, just think one day at a time. 🙌 You CAN do this.

I am in awe of you! I have as much grace as a bull in a china shop!;-) The last time that I weighed in I was 247. I really want to try this when it gets to my area, on that note, my weight is concerning.

• initiation0
    initiation0 Posts: 22 Member
    edited December 2018
    There is now way to delete a post?
  • mbaker566
    BMA1963 wrote: »
    There is now way to delete a post?

You can make it empty or put nvmnd or ask a mod
  • mbaker566
    Most weights shouldn't be much of an issue. They should be able to hold a baby elephant if rigged right.

It all takes time and practice. I was definitely not graceful when i started.
  • mbaker566 wrote: »
    i'm glad you discovered it. i have an autoimmune disorder and find regular yoga too hard on my joints. but i've been doing aerial yoga for 7ish years

do it! @Bj0223

One of the girls in our aerial class has Lymes disease and the difference she feels after starting Aerial is incredible 🙂

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 wrote: »

do it! @Bj0223

One of the girls in our aerial class has Lymes disease and the difference she feels after starting Aerial is incredible 🙂

i lucked out and managed to get off all my daily medications(for the time being). every once in a while i need to take a muscle relaxer.
    sjb23tkpr9ko.png
  • sperouty
    sperouty Posts: 23 Member
    I am trying aerial yoga for the first time this Saturday. Any good tips for beginners?
  • mbaker566
    sperouty wrote: »
    I am trying aerial yoga for the first time this Saturday. Any good tips for beginners?

be well hydrated. wear close fitting clothes. do not eat too much before. a light snack. at our studio we like to arm pits and knee pits covered. helps minimize irritation