Anyone reversing diabetes through weight loss, or struggling to do so?

Options
So today I got my fasting score back for glucose (I had a 12 hour fast) and the numbers were 127, and 126 is considered diabetes. I had gestational diabetes during a pregnancy 10 years ago, so I am at higher risk. I weight 230, 5'6 - and have a goal to get under 200lbs. Have any of you reverse your diabetes numbers through your weight loss #s, or are trying to do so? Feeling a little deflated.

Replies

• twatson4936
    twatson4936 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I was never diagnosed as diabetic, but I believe I was. I started running much more and losing weight. My V02 Max went from 39 to 46 in 6 months and then I had a physical. I was at 103 and the Doc feels it was higher but it is on the way down now. I went back two weeks later for another test and was told I am not diabetic. So based on my experience I would say yes you can. In fact I bet if you were to start getting 150 moderate minutes of activity a week or 75 minutes of vigorous activity you will see your numbers fall very fast. This is the recommended amount of exercise to be considered healthy. Good luck to you, you can do this!
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Good advise, I "wish" I could add the moderate/ vigorous activity - an auto accident in 2009 left me with some spine & tailbone, pain mgmt issues...(elderly woman ran a red light and hit me in drivers door going 45 mph). I have my tracker set to the sedentary. I had another minor accident (rear end), and fall last year out of the tub (:( I can't believe I did that) which aggravated it further. So for now, My running and elliptical days I think are over, at least until I get my weight down. I'm really-really hoping the weight loss will allow me to start doing more and (maybe help with pain). I've done everything else - acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, pain meds, multiple therapists, etc etc., reduced driving. On the horizon, I plan on adding swimming back towards the third week in December, but I'll need to carve out specific times and be dedicated to it.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »
    Good advise, I "wish" I could add the moderate/ vigorous activity - an auto accident in 2009 left me with some spine & tailbone, pain mgmt issues...(elderly woman ran a red light and hit me in drivers door going 45 mph). I have my tracker set to the sedentary. I had another minor accident (rear end), and fall last year out of the tub (:( I can't believe I did that) which aggravated it further. So for now, My running and elliptical days I think are over, at least until I get my weight down. I'm really-really hoping the weight loss will allow me to start doing more and (maybe help with pain). I've done everything else - acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, pain meds, multiple therapists, etc etc., reduced driving. On the horizon, I plan on adding swimming back towards the third week in December, but I'll need to carve out specific times and be dedicated to it.

Swimming is fantastic for low impact and full body work. I'm looking forward to getting back in the pool myself. I'm not prediabetic or diabetic myself, but reducing weight, controlling diet, and getting some activity at whatever level you can manage can be very helpful in improving your numbers. You already know that gestational diabetes increases your risk. I'm sorry to read of your accidents. I have some issues with chronic pain. I have found that the best treatment is building strength. Start from where you are, you might be surprised how far from here you will be in a few months.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    IsETHome wrote: »

Unless you have been prescribed bed rest, there is always something. I count my physical therapy as part of my exercise routine and when at my worst clear other activities through my physical therapist. Some of the gentler things I have tried:

-deep water aerobics: developed for athletes recovering from knee injuries, this is even lower impact than regular water aerobics. Just make sure you have a safe way of getting out of the pool. Oh, how I remember the weight coming back onto my body as I climbed that ladder, but the workouts themselves are great.
    -chair aerobics: with back and neck issues you will need to modify some of the exercises, especially anything that involves swinging the arms over your head.
    -chair yoga: again, you may have to make modifications, but a well led yoga will help you safely explore your own range of motion.
  • IsETHome
    IsETHome Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Some great advisement here, thank you. I've never heard of Chair Yoga before...interesting. Insightful on the lowering with maybe just a few added exercices like chair squats. I'll see about getting advisement on actually doing that properly.