Is losing 4 pounds a month realistic?

Options
So I have lost 20 pounds and I have about another 25 to 35 pounds more to lose.
My next goal is to lose 24 pounds by June.
So that would be about 4 pounds a month.
I think that 1 pound a week is pretty reasonable but I also know that once you get closer to your goal weight that weight loss will slow. Do you think that this a realistic next goal.
Also not sure if it matters but It took me 6 months to lose this 20 pounds but 1 of those months was really hard on me and I didn’t track.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    If you are eating food you enjoy and getting some exercise you should be able to lose a pound a week. That way you are not feeling terribly deprived, so are more likely to stick to the calorie restriction. If you are 'on a diet' it gets harder to stick to a limited food plan for the long term. Exercise will allow you more flexibility in your eating as well, and should make you feel better.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    The maximum rate of loss is 1% of bodyweight per week. A more reasonable rate is somewhere between .5% and 1% and even less as you get closer to goal.

Depending on what you currently weigh, and how many calories you need to consume to lose at that rate (meaning if you have to drop your calories to a very low/unsustainable level to lose a pound a week), 24 pounds by June might be possible.
  • MeganReid1991
    MeganReid1991 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Good point I don’t want to be disappointed either but I think setting a goal will help me stay on track
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You can possibly lose 1/wk for a month or two, then you should drop to .5 per week for a healthy approach. For me it happened naturally without much conscious slowdown.