We need a little controversy

Options
walleyclan1
walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
I have some thoughts in my head that I feel may be controversial. My good friend Jerry is a divorced dad to an 8 year old. They divorced when she was 4. He wanted 50/50 custody but was granted more like 40/60. He has to pay almost $500 dollars a month in child support. I think child support in cases where the dad wants to be and can be equally involved the kids life is crazy. Not only do you not get to spend as much time with your kid as you want but oh you also have to pay your ex a bunch of money. Parents who chose not to be physically involved in their child's life should definitely pay child support but those that are involved and try and share equal custody should not in my opinion.

Second rant.... My boss's ex wife got 4k a month in alimony for 12 months, then 3k for 12 months, then 2k for 12 months, then 1k for 12 months and then no more alimony. Their kids are grown up and moved out and she is capable of working. Why does he have to pay her 48k the first year? I don't get it. Alimony is horrible in my most cases in my opinion. I could see my boss having to pay a lump sum of 5k or something to help her get an apartment and furniture while she is getting a job and getting settled but 4k a month?!?

Replies

• kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    While I tend to agree with you on both of these subjects.. we all know what we are risking getting into when we get married or we have sex..

Marriage/Divorce/Kids aren't easy.. so if you arent ready for worse case scenario - Don't.
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    One of my colleagues ended up divorced after her husband cheated on her. She is a career woman whose only loves were him, their kids, and her job. Apparently, HE had a better lawyer and she ended up paying him $4K a month....even after he shacked up with the mistress. That's just NOT right....for either sex.

I don't agree with alimony / palimony either, in general. It does get sticky, however, when once spouse has given up the chance at their own career to stay home to take care of kids, or at the request of the "bread-winning" spouse. I have actually dated men (in the remote past, lol) who specifically asked me NOT to work as they wanted the appearance of being able to "take care of me" (i.e.: show off his wallet to other men/women). Personally, I found this quite suspicious and made damn sure I could support myself.

Now *I* have a trophy husband. :bigsmile: :drinker: