Help! Chinese buffet!

Options
13»

Replies

• Runaroundafieldx2
    Runaroundafieldx2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Egg fu yung is high protein and not normally cooked with too much oil.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,423 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    I focus more on portion. Buffets can be challenging because you are portioning out your food onto a big plate when you are already hungry and overloaded with choices. Make a plan and stick to it.

My buffet plans would be 1 trip, no going back for seconds. To control portions- divide your plate into 3 sections. Each tray at the buffet has a serving spoon right? 2 scoops steamed vegetable, 1 scoop non fried meat, 1 scoop plain rice. Each scoop should be able to fit into the palm of your hand. You also get to choose 1 thing you are crazy about and have to have. So, 1 chicken ball or 1 egg roll or 1 rangoon or 1 wing etc. You still get your taste but you don't get to go overboard.

Have a plan. You can do it! Remember, the buffet isn't going anywhere. You can always go back next week and try something different. No need to eat it all in one trip.

I'd skip the rice, get interesting looking vegetables, two meats if they had options I liked, 2 potstickers, 1 spring roll and egg drop soup.

No way I'd be wasting (for me) calories on plain rice.

Last time we ordered chinese at home I got double steamed chicken and vegetables, garlic sauce on the side so I could add as much or as little as I wanted, and did the above, two fried potstickers with dipping sauce and 1 spring roll, plus I shared a side of egg drop soup with my daughter. Other than the sodium, which I don't care about, the macros and calories were reasonable and just as importantly, it tasted good and satisfied my desire for takeout Chinese.

Personally, I'd skip the rice too just because I don't like it that much. But I didn't want OP to think they have to avoid carbs so I put it out there. I'd probably rather have a second meat option than rice. Or if for some reason there are roasted potatoes, then I'll go for those.

Yeah, that's why I added "for me" . Don't get me wrong, carbs are not the debil, but there are so many things I would choose before it, especially before plain white rice. Now, if there was a super good looking fried rice, maybe pork based, I might take a half scoop, but likely would still choose a meat instead, lol.