Gym Shoes

Options
ABNana2614
ABNana2614 Posts: 44 Member
edited December 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
What type/brand/style of shoes do you wear at the gym? What about for a group class like Zumba? I can't seem to settle on a pair that I like.

Replies

• RealWorldStrengthLLC
    RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    It all depends on what you're doing.

I'm partial to nike for everything I do, my current "gym" shoes are Nike flex, I used to run in freerunners but they got discontinued. Also I don't run much currently. My hiking boots/work boots are also a pair of my old Nike tan Army boots. That said - if you're lifting weights I would reccomend something very flat such as converse - I personally wear my Nike flex but for anything static involving my feet (squats, deadlifts, clean & press) I actually kick shoes off and lift in socks
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    For something like Zumba, probably just a cross trainer.

I mostly lift in the gym...I wear Nike Metcon most of the time as they provide a good lifting platform and support, but are also flexible enough to do other things in the gym. I have a pair of Reebok lifters that I wear if I'm doing a heavy cycle but they suck for doing anything else besides squats and deads.
  • AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    For me it totally depends on the type of floor the Zumba/dance class will be on. I take several of these types of classes a week. One is on a gymnastics type floor so people either do barefoot or socks with grippers. The other is a very hard wooden floor with absolutely zero support and is kind of slick- so something with more padding and a nice grip on the bottom is needed.

As far as a general recommendation I really like the Puma Enzo Strap shoes. They look like this:

0wuexgbshu2j.jpg
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I have running shoes and then shoes I can wear to just do machine cardio or resistance training. Pretty much anything you find comfy is good for the latter. For yoga and some aerobic stuff I find yoga socks plenty.
  • MarieRosekenji85
    MarieRosekenji85 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I love under armor shoes and Nike cross trainers. I need to get fitted for a new pair next month though so I'm following to see what others recommend.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    I wear my running shoes for everything. I really recommend going to a running shop and have them analyse your gait. They showed me on a screen how I was overpronating and how wearing corrective trainers stopped this. I am so much more comfortable now and never get blisters. I did buy the first pair from the shop as a thank you for the analysis but in future I can buy cheaper online now I know what I'm looking for.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    I wear my running shoes for everything. I really recommend going to a running shop and have them analyse your gait. They showed me on a screen how I was overpronating and how wearing corrective trainers stopped this. I am so much more comfortable now and never get blisters. I did buy the first pair from the shop as a thank you for the analysis but in future I can buy cheaper online now I know what I'm looking for.

Same. I got some Saucony running shoes at a store where they did the full evaluation. Running shoes are light but heavy duty; they are made to withstand the elements and not come apart. One odd thing is that i only learned how to properly lace them at the specialty store also; i wasn't using the two holes at the top correctly.