Oh those Holiday Treats!

Options
We all know that some Holiday treats are loaded with butter, sugar in all varieties, flour and more good tasting things.

So the below list is all about letting us know about the calories, fat and sugar content of Holiday Treats, and they then offer an alternate. And in some cases also a recipe for doing a lighter version. Also suggest to watch those portion sizes.

I personally like Cooking Light recipes as I can see nutrition before deciding yes or no to make. And sometimes I make it with alternate sugars.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/nutrition/48-holiday-foods-you-shouldnt-eat/ss-BBQtKy5?ocid=spartanntp#image=21

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    What’s wrong with butter, sugar, flour...?? I love those things and they’re perfectly fine in a diet
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    For at least Christmas I feel one should at least enjoy some of the stuff they don't usually get to eat. I would just avoid a lot of the foods I could eat year round & then just eat certain treats that you only get to eat once a year (relative that makes a certain dish) or something you usually don't include in your overall diet.

Now I can understand making some stuff a bit healthier/a certain way if someone has a medical allergy to a certain ingredient, diabetic, or has a gluten intolerance, etc. since it would benefit the consumer health wise.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    I plan to make pecan pie thumbprint cookies, white chocolate chip cranberry cookies and salted butter chocolate chunk shortbread cookies this Christmas. I figure, if I'm going to go to the trouble of baking, it had better kick *kitten*, lol.

P. S. My MIL, with every good intention in the world, bakes and ships us tons of mediocre cookies at Christmas. Like weird cream cheese and margerine based ones, sad chocolate chip cookies made with parkay, grainy pb cookies with Hershey kisses stuck on top (FYI, I find hershey's chocolate super revolting and even at my highest weight ever, almost 100lbs ago, would turn my nose up at it), etc. We end up throwing away at least half of all these cookies every single year. And we've told her multiple times she needn't send us cookies. Anyway, I am combating that with loads of real butter, sugar and flour in the amazing cookie recipes we're doing at home. Mini-rant over.